How to clean the barrel

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963, David Levene, Spencer

Mr_NOBODY

How to clean the barrel

Post by Mr_NOBODY »

I'm not sure how must I clean the barrel (AIR RIFLE)
I think is very important for accuracy, but I don't want to damage the compensator or regulator with clean pellets.
What's your experience? Any Advice?
Thx
kameljock

Re: How to clean the barrel

Post by kameljock »

be in the moment
Rover

Post by Rover »

"I think is very important for accuracy"

Naah, just shoot the sucker.
Mr_NOBODY

Post by Mr_NOBODY »

Does your air rifle barrel require cleaning? There is some debate on this
issue. There are those who say it should be cleaned every time, and those
who say never to clean an airgun barrel. Airguns don’t generate any real
heat, nor do they have burned powder residue to dirty a bore like firearms.
As long as you are using good quality match pellets from RWS, H&N, Vogel
or JSB then cleaning is of little benefit. If you do decide to clean your airgun
barrel, I recommend pushing some doubled-up monofilament fishing line
up through the barrel and pulling a cleaning batch through the barrel. A
barrel that has been cleaned should have 15-20 fouling shots put through it
before the start of a match, as a totally clean barrel will shoot to a different
point of impact than one with a normal amount of pellet wax on the lands
and grooves.
bReTt72

Post by bReTt72 »

Always start by inspecting and cleaning the barrel on a new or used air rifle.

I have found that after a good initial cleaning and polish that an air rifle doesn’t need to be cleaned unless you notice a decline in your accuracy. It could be hundreds or even thousands of pellets before you ever notice a decline and need to clean your barrel.

Don’t use any bore brushes for your air rifle barrels. The lead build up, if any, should be minimal and should be able to be removed with some patches pulled through from the breech to the muzzle with some sort of cable/snake, not a rod if you can avoid it. That is simply to help rotect the crown. If you can clean with a rod from the breech end of the barrel, that would be ok.

I simply use an off brand “WD40” type spray lube on a couple patches and pull those through the barrel. I then pull a few dry patches through until they come out clean. I may hit it again with another wet patch then some more dry patches if the barrel is new and has a lot of packing grease in it. Usually it doesn’t need it though. Sometimes I do it just to ease my own mind so I can feel that I have it a good cleaning. Ha ha! Just be careful of getting any petroleum solvents or lubes on the seals. That could help to accelerate their deterioration and need for replacement. There are a few non solvent type cleaner/degreasers for just that situation and they may work just as well without the possible extra risk. I use what’s convenient and just use caution.

That’s the way I do it anyways and it has worked well for me.
Rover

Post by Rover »

l think this was the information you searched the entire article for:

"As long as you are using good quality match pellets from RWS, H&N, Vogel
or JSB then cleaning is of little benefit." Pilk
TenMetrePeter

Post by TenMetrePeter »

Rover wrote:l think this was the information you searched the entire article for:

"As long as you are using good quality match pellets from RWS, H&N, Vogel
or JSB then cleaning is of little benefit." Pilk
+1
jhmartin

Post by jhmartin »

Here is where my OCD traits begin to appear.
We do a lot of SCATT training, and We know pretty much what the hold and shot release area is on some shooters.

IF their actual scores are outside that hold area, then it could be one of multiple things, but time for new pellet test of a quick clean of the barrel could be in order.

I use the VFG felts pull thru system. I'll drag a clean felt thru. If it's real dirty, an intensiv felt thru, then a few more clean felts ... no lube on any.
Then clamp the gun and shoot until the group is consistently small and hand it to the shooter. If we cannot get the group small as we want, then we do the pellet tests.

A note to all that have Megalinks. The new version of the monitor S/W (17.56) has imported the Ballistic Test features that were previously only in the MLShoot software. This should make it dirt/dumb simple to do pellet or ammo testing