TargetTalk

A forum to talk about Olympic style shooting, rifle or pistol, 10 meters to 50 meters, and whatever is in between. Hosted by Pilkguns.com
It is currently Fri Nov 17, 2017 6:06 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: slanted cheek piece
PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2017 8:06 pm 

Any advantages or disadvantages to using a slanted cheek piece in the prone position.

Post subject: Re: slanted cheek piece
PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2017 3:02 am 

Slanted in which direction, vertically or front-to-back? I see both, and at ISSF finals. I have been told that a front to back slant can cause horizontal stringing, as back-forth head movement has a lateral component. But for me it's the only way I can fit my head square behind the sights. Fundamentally the size and shape of the cheekpiece must consistently guide and hold your head behind the centre of the rear aperture, without tensing your neck. I think good fit and support is more important than textbook looks; since heads vary in size and shape, so do cheekpiece. I would add the caveat that getting a second opinion is sensible if you find you need a very unusual set up.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2017 7:44 am 

Tim, thank you for your reply. I mean slanted in or out. Ten o'clock to 2 o'clock.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2017 7:59 am 

Ok, I have mine slanted in towards 10 o'clock to accommodate my jaw, and improve contact under my cheekbone. I've seen a few slanted out, I guess to create contact along the side of the jaw. Bus I said, it all depends on the shape of your face. I would expect slanting to be either/or, in that you're unlikely to find both in and out slants comfortable.