TargetTalk

A forum to talk about Olympic style shooting, rifle or pistol, 10 meters to 50 meters, and whatever is in between. Hosted by Pilkguns.com
It is currently Mon Dec 18, 2017 1:27 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Rear iris questions
PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2017 12:43 pm 

I'm looking to get my son a new rear iris for competitive smallbore. He shoots mostly 50ft indoor but also shoots 50yd and 50m outdoor.
Can someone give me the Cliff Notes version of what the color and polarization settings do? i'm assuming the polarization removes glare much like polarized sunglasses? Seems good for outdoor and bright indoor ranges. Is there a difference between the Centra/MEC, Gehmann and Anschutz irises besides cost?

Thanks for any and all replies and advice!

Post subject: Re: Rear iris questions
PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2017 1:20 pm 

Yep, polarisers cut down glare. Gehmann used to advertise polarisers as combating mirage, but that's hokum. I rarely use one, but I shoot outdoors mostly on a well shaded range.

Colour filters change the contrast between the aiming mark and the target background. This can be to tone down the background in bright light, or to make the mark stand out in overcast conditions. I use a yellow filter under most conditions as it cuts UV light, and doesn't darken the sight picture too much.

US Olympian Eric Uptagrafft gave a very good description on this forum of his use of filters to maintain a good and constant sight picture. If you search, I think it was 2011-ish.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2017 3:40 pm 

Keep it simple.. One of those things they will forget to adjust in the heat of battle. Id suggest apature size is most important followed by a handful of colors. If theres enough light my eyes prefer an amber color. Yellow seems to hurt. I guess thats why they make more than one color.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2017 4:23 pm 

Get a Gehman 510. Leave about 1.0-1.2 and forget about colors, polarization. Especially for a JR shooter. Keep it simple.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2017 4:07 pm 

I absolutely second Morgen’s statement. KISS!

MarkTrew