Anschutz 6702 or 7002 ??

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963, David Levene, Spencer

Pastprime

Anschutz 6702 or 7002 ??

Post by Pastprime »

I'm a "mature", non-competitive shooter who still enjoys using aperture sights. Most of my shooting now is from a bench with an occasional target or two standing if my back permits. I have an Anschutz 1811 with the 6702 rear sight and it work fine, but I'm wondering whether the 7002 rear sight would help tighten my groups any. Other than the option of finer adjustments is there some other advantage to upgrading ?
mtncwru

Re: Anschutz 6702 or 7002 ??

Post by mtncwru »

Assuming your current sight is working fine from a mechanical standpoint, the only real advantage of the 7002 sight is the ability to adjust for cant in your position. The ability to bring the elevation and windage knobs back to true vertical and true horizontal is a big advantage when you have the 20-degrees of cant that I used to, and shoot matches with limited sighters.

If you have concerns about your current rear sight not tracking, having dead zones, etc., then it may be worthwhile to have it serviced; as with any mechanical device, sights can wear over time, collect crud, etc. Personally, Joe Hein has always been my go-to (https://www.eliteshootingsport.com/service/), though I believe this is a service our host can provide, too.

Other than that, there's not much advantage to the upgrade, and I say this as someone with a 7002 sight for sale. Based on your description below, I'd probably just buy more ammo instead of a new rear sight :-)
redschietti

Post by redschietti »

If you dont have an adjustable rear iris get one
Pastprime

Post by Pastprime »

redschietti wrote:If you dont have an adjustable rear iris get one
I never leave home without one.....
Pastprime

Post by Pastprime »

mtncwru wrote:Assuming your current sight is working fine from a mechanical standpoint, the only real advantage of the 7002 sight is the ability to adjust for cant in your position. The ability to bring the elevation and windage knobs back to true vertical and true horizontal is a big advantage when you have the 20-degrees of cant that I used to, and shoot matches with limited sighters.

If you have concerns about your current rear sight not tracking, having dead zones, etc., then it may be worthwhile to have it serviced; as with any mechanical device, sights can wear over time, collect crud, etc. Personally, Joe Hein has always been my go-to (https://www.eliteshootingsport.com/service/), though I believe this is a service our host can provide, too.

Other than that, there's not much advantage to the upgrade, and I say this as someone with a 7002 sight for sale. Based on your description below, I'd probably just buy more ammo instead of a new rear sight :-)
Thank you for the detailed answer. My eyesight is fine now thanks to cataract surgery a few years ago. It's just that .250" groups look so much better than .600" groups....
Tim S

Post by Tim S »

Pastprime wrote: Thank you for the detailed answer. My eyesight is fine now thanks to cataract surgery a few years ago. It's just that .250" groups look so much better than .600" groups....
Hmmm, I think you may be disappointed. I don't think that a new rearsight will tighten your groups that much, unless the old one was defective; it's not like changing from a 4X 'scope to a 36X. The 7002 has finer clicks, whichvhelps with centring groups, but fundamentally it's a means to hold the aperture, and so is the 7002.

Wanting a 7002 just because is a different matter.
Pastprime

Post by Pastprime »

Tim S wrote:
Pastprime wrote: Thank you for the detailed answer. My eyesight is fine now thanks to cataract surgery a few years ago. It's just that .250" groups look so much better than .600" groups....
Hmmm, I think you may be disappointed. I don't think that a new rearsight will tighten your groups that much, unless the old one was defective; it's not like changing from a 4X 'scope to a 36X. The 7002 has finer clicks, whichvhelps with centring groups, but fundamentally it's a means to hold the aperture, and so is the 7002.

Wanting a 7002 just because is a different matter.
Doesn't hurt to dream, Tim. As said, I"d be better served by using the money to buy more, better ammunition.

Hank
mtncwru

Post by mtncwru »

Tim S wrote:Wanting a 7002 just because is a different matter.
That is an incredibly true statement.
Tim S

Post by Tim S »

Pastprime wrote:
Tim S wrote:
Doesn't hurt to dream, Tim. As said, I"d be better served by using the money to buy more, better ammunition.

Hank
Hank,

We're all suckers for shiny kit syndrome at some time or another. I've certainly pinned hopes if dramatic success on a new gizmo.

The 7002 is a good rearsight, proven at the highest level. It's also not the only choice for an upgrade. If you want finer clicks, the Gehmann 590, Centra Startline, and Tesro are all 20-clickers (twice as fine as the 6702), and cheaper than the 7002. The mechanisms, all very similar, are simpler than the Anschutz, but sturdy and IMO reliable.