Long LOP

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963, David Levene, Spencer

galt11

Long LOP

Post by galt11 »

Bit of a strange question but I am thinking of taking the plunge and buying a smallbore rifle. As I stand 6'5'" with decently long arms, I am curious what rifles the collective wisdom might recommend that can be made to have a longer than normal LOP. I know for a shotgun I was using a 16 - 16.25 in LOP. I know position shooting is different, but it might give you an idea. Thanks

Adam
Tim S

Re: Long LOP

Post by Tim S »

Adam,

What discipline are you planning to shoot, Prone or 3-P. Much the same kit is used for both, but the Standing and Kneeling add requirements that Prone-only shooters can ignore.

For Prone, typically your LOP is shorter than with a shotgun. It's difficult to put an exact figure, but I know many 6'1" and 6'2" guys who seem OK with an LOP around 12in-12.5in; +/- ; I'm measuring from the buttplate to the front of the grip as triggers are adjustable for finger reach (typically add 1in-1.5in for the trigger). The exact LOP depends on on arm length, position angle/height stock shape etc. This is easily accomodated within the rifle's in-built capability, whether by inserting wedges or running out the butt on rods/bracket. I have set a couple of 6'5"ers up in position and they needed a longer LOP, but didn't run out of gun*. You may be different. Although the trend today is for rifles to have shorter butts to accomodate girls, manufacturers do allow for tall men. New rifles can be ordered with a longer butt extension, or longer extension parts obtained. If you buy second hand, wood stocks tend to be a little longer than aluminium as standard.

At 6'5", I'd say your problem will be finding a jacket that's long enough in the sleeve.

*Google Harald Stenvaag and Ole Kristian Bryhn, both Norwegian Olympics and about your height. Neither needs/ed a special rifle. Stenvaag won his Olympic medals with an Anschutz 1813. Bryan shoots a Bleiker.
Cumbrian

Post by Cumbrian »

If it is any help - and be warned that I am a mediocre prone shooter and at least as mediocre at shooting clays - I would say that you need appreciably less LOP for prone than for shotgun shooting (perhaps several inches). I had one very good prone coach, a bit taller than I am, who very successfully used a shorter LOP on his rifle than I do with the same stock (a Gemini). I think he said that he almost cradled the pistol grip and trigger. He certainly recommended experimenting with the LOP, and of course the hand stop adjustment to go with it. However, to experiment you need a highly adjustable set up to start with and they are not cheap.
galt11

Post by galt11 »

Thanks to both for the info. I am not totally sure if I would concentrate on any one discipline since there isn't much around me for adults, would like to have a good smallbore gun for practice and any comps I can find. I shoot both NRA highpower and Palma, so either prone only or 3p would be good practice at a cheaper cost. One area I know we have looked into was summer biathlon. It is good to hear that I won't have to shot specifically for one or two models, but can look around.

Adam
1813benny

Post by 1813benny »

Where are you located?
Ken
galt11

Post by galt11 »

1813benny wrote:Where are you located?
Ken
In New York, near West Point
1813benny

Post by 1813benny »

There are excellent prone matches in Wilkes-Barre and Allentown, PA areas. Our state match is the weekend of Sept 16 in Wilkes-Barre. You should stop down for a visit and I am sure that you can check out multiple rifles and learn more about small bore prone.

If you are interested, let me know and I can send more details.
Ken