50-meter Men's Smallbore Prone

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963, David Levene, Spencer

CarlosDJackal

50-meter Men's Smallbore Prone

Post by CarlosDJackal »

I am getting older and slower so I may be giving up participating in shooting matches that require a lot of movement with heavy equipment (ie: PRS, 3-gun, etc.). I am intrigued with the 50-meter Men's Smallbore Prone that is still part of the Summer Olympic Games.

However, before I start buying the (very expensive) equipment needed, I need to make sure I will be able to use them. But try as I might, I have yet to find any matches that I can start participating in that is within reasonable distance from Central Virginia. It is not unusual for me to drive a 1 or 2 days to match. But it seems all the ones I have found about are only open to collegiate, highs chool, grade school or military-affiliated teams.

Any information would be greatly appreciated.
bdutton

Re: 50-meter Men's Smallbore Prone

Post by bdutton »

CarlosDJackal wrote:I am getting older and slower so I may be giving up participating in shooting matches that require a lot of movement with heavy equipment (ie: PRS, 3-gun, etc.). I am intrigued with the 50-meter Men's Smallbore Prone that is still part of the Summer Olympic Games.

However, before I start buying the (very expensive) equipment needed, I need to make sure I will be able to use them. But try as I might, I have yet to find any matches that I can start participating in that is within reasonable distance from Central Virginia. It is not unusual for me to drive a 1 or 2 days to match. But it seems all the ones I have found about are only open to collegiate, highs chool, grade school or military-affiliated teams.

50 Meter Prone has been eliminated from the Olympic program much to the anger and disappointment of the American and world shooting community.

However, the 50 Meter prone event is still alive in the USAS National Match program.

The NRA has a very strong conventional prone following nationally. Maryland and Pennsylvania have some big NRA matches. There may also be local club leagues that you could participate in. The NRA national Conventional prone matches have moved (temporarily?) to Briston Indiana. The NRA Metric nationals where held in Arizona last year. The CMP has been stirring the pot and will be offering conventional smallbore prone matches at the former site of the NRA conventional prone matches in Camp Perry Ohio in July 2018. The fledgling ASSA just conducted their first national championship this past week in CT and look to continue that moving forward in 2018.
CarlosDJackal

Post by CarlosDJackal »

bdutton wrote:50 Meter Prone has been eliminated from the Olympic program much to the anger and disappointment of the American and world shooting community.
How come they still have it listed on their site? https://www.olympic.org/shooting
bdutton wrote:However, the 50 Meter prone event is still alive in the USAS National Match program.

The NRA has a very strong conventional prone following nationally. Maryland and Pennsylvania have some big NRA matches. There may also be local club leagues that you could participate in. The NRA national Conventional prone matches have moved (temporarily?) to Briston Indiana. The NRA Metric nationals where held in Arizona last year. The CMP has been stirring the pot and will be offering conventional smallbore prone matches at the former site of the NRA conventional prone matches in Camp Perry Ohio in July 2018. The fledgling ASSA just conducted their first national championship this past week in CT and look to continue that moving forward in 2018.
Thanks for the info. I'll start looking into the matches in MD and PA. Any idea where I can go to find out more information?
Hap Rocketto

Post by Hap Rocketto »

It is getting late in the season but Shooting Sports USA carries coming events.
https://www.ssusa.org/media/1536760/july2017_ce.pdf
Modena

Post by Modena »

CarlosDJackal wrote:How come they still have it listed on their site? https://www.olympic.org/shooting
the decision to remove it was only finally ratified a few weeks ago.
dc.fireman

Post by dc.fireman »

CarlosDJackal wrote:I am getting older and slower so I may be giving up participating in shooting matches that require a lot of movement with heavy equipment (ie: PRS, 3-gun, etc.). I am intrigued with the 50-meter Men's Smallbore Prone that is still part of the Summer Olympic Games.

Try this website: http://fxrgc.org

There is a Labor Day weekend Conventional 3200 Prone Regional every year in Manassas, Va. Check the calendar for the listing & contact info.
Last edited by dc.fireman on Wed Aug 16, 2017 7:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hemmers

Post by Hemmers »

CarlosDJackal wrote:
bdutton wrote:50 Meter Prone has been eliminated from the Olympic program much to the anger and disappointment of the American and world shooting community.
How come they still have it listed on their site? https://www.olympic.org/shooting
As Modena says, it was only recently ratified by the ISSF, and the IOC have not yet updated their website. Prone will not be on the programme at Tokyo 2020 - Rio 2016 was the last Olympic Games with 50M Prone (for the foreseeable future and, realistically, ever).