Anschutx 54

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963, David Levene, Spencer

Russ Burchsted

Anschutx 54

Post by Russ Burchsted »

Hi All, I have Anschutz model 54 super match. It will not ejector the empty case. Should I replace both the extractor and the ejector or just the ejector.

Russ Burchsted
Tim S

Re: Anschutx 54

Post by Tim S »

Russ,

from your description, am I right in thinking the rifle is an early model with only one bolt claw? These can work well, but not as reliably as the post-1964 two claw bolts.

Before you replace any parts, have you removed the extractor claw to clean it? If you press the claw in, you can work the blade of a small screwdriver underneath. Wiggle the screwdriver until the claw pops out. Then tap out the spring. The recess gets very dirty with bullet grease, which prevents the claw moving properly. Cleaning the relief slot in the barrel can help too, so the claw can clip fully over the case rim. A dental pick and cottonbuds dipped in solvent work.

If a good clean doesn't work, I would replace the extractor spring first, as this would get most wear. Then look at the claw, and ejector stud. If case rims fit snuggly under the claw, replace the ejector stud first. You might want to remove tye barrel/action from the stock to pull out the ejector; twist off the spring retainer, and poke the ejector out of the breech. If the front of the ejector is mushed, it won't knock the case out properly.
Russ Burchsted

Re: Anschut 54

Post by Russ Burchsted »

HI TIM S
THE ANSCHUTZ I WAS TALKING ABOUT THE SERIAL NUMBER IS 32961. ITS HAS ONE CLAW ON THE BOLT. THANKS FOR THE INFORMATION.

RUSS BURCHSTED
Tim S

Post by Tim S »

Russ,

don't mention it. From the serial number that's a 1960s rifle, say '63 or so. I would expect that rifle to have only one claw.

I forgot to say, but if you want to remove the claw, have everything in a large clear plastic bag. The claw can shoot out, and is a pain to find.
OrlandoProneXgun

Post by OrlandoProneXgun »

What type of ammo is it having problems ejecting? I find that some ammos are on longer tolerance and are hard to insert and eject. Have you noticed that its hard to push the ammo into the barrel (its very tight)? Switching ammo, I no longer have a problem. I personally stay away from Winchester.
Russ Burchsted

Post by Russ Burchsted »

I use r-100 eley federal an geco all match ammo all have the same problem.
Bob Smalser

Post by Bob Smalser »

Ditto Tim. The ejector is easily worn and even damaged by bore guides and cleaning rods. I'd order one along with a new extractor spring, a new FP spring and replace the ejector with a new one with sharp corners and dimensions to spec. The other parts I replace as a matter of course on these oldies is the bolt detent and spring - the arrow-shaped part next to the bolt handle ring. The detent is a sacrificial part designed to wear with use against the hardened receiver, and for the cost of a few 7-dollar parts, it's time for new. Not to mention getting 50 years of accumulated crud out of all the mortises and from beneath the loading tray. I'm generally pleasantly surprised with the difference they make.

Bob