What rifle

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963, David Levene, Spencer

TommyH

What rifle

Post by TommyH »

I'm currently shooting 10 metre air pistol and have been thinking for a while about going into Bench rest. When I buy, I want a nice rig that is going to last me and deliver on quality. I'd be grateful for some advice on calibre (have read that 6mm is best), what sights do I need, I've seen lots of images with rifles having either scopes on them or aperture type sights, what is the criteria that determines the difference?

Thanks in anticipation

Tom
Rover

Re: What rifle

Post by Rover »

I think you'd do better going to several local matches and buying the competitors a beer or two while you pick their brains. There is more to this than you may expect.
Piefou

Post by Piefou »

For the beggining, get a Anschutz Match 54.

It will never disappoint you.
Whatever the multiple calibers you will shoot, you will always love your Match 54 :)
FWB P700 Alu & JSB S100 pellets // Annie 1913 Precise & Eley Sport bullets
Tim S

Post by Tim S »

Tom,

if you want a 6mm rifle, that's a centrefire, and you may get better information from a more benchrest-specific forum. Briefly, centrefire benchrest is shot entirely with 'scopes. The dominant calibre for 100 yard BR is 6mm, specifically the 6mm PPC. Handloading your ammunition is essential.

If you have seen benchrest shot with aperture sights, that would be the NSRA domestic version. This is .22LR only. The rules are quite different to US competition. It seems to be geared towards keeping older prone shooters in the sport.
TommyH

Post by TommyH »

I've learnt a lot already. I already had a yearning for the Anschutz Match 54.
Didn't know about having to hand load own ammo for the 6mm, that doesn't appeal to me much given my personal time constraints what with work etc.
I'd prefer to use a scope with the 'Annie', is that the norm for .22 Bench rest? What distances are shot competitively with this set up?

Thanks very much so far

Tom
Tim S

Post by Tim S »

Tom,

I think NSRA comp allow 'scopes. They have recently devised a BR target based on the '89 series indoor cards. UK BR22is all 'scope I believe. Distances are much the same as for NSRA prone, 25 yards indoor and 50yards/metres outdoor. I don't think there are any 100 yard comps.

Yes all centre-fire benchrest ammo is handloaded, meticulously so to wring out every last millimetre of accuracy. I'm nit sure you can even buy 6mm PPC factory ammo.
Rover

Post by Rover »

As I said earlier, there is a lot more to this than you might expect (coming from a former bench rest shooter).

You may want to look into air rifle bench rest since you might be a little more familiar with the technology.
WRL

Post by WRL »

Take a look at the websites Benchrest Central and Benchrest Rimfire. Lots of information there. Also, the International Benchrest Shooters website has information on centerfire benchrest.
poor daddy x 3

Post by poor daddy x 3 »

Just for information purposes . I shoot a match 54 , professionally bedded . A Harrell tuner , with a 36x Leupold Competition scope. Ammunition is Eley Tennex , $20 a box . My front rest cost $950 and bags in the rear. I also have a 6mm ppc . It is great to shoot , but lots of work to load . Not saying you have to jump this deep all at once , but I have found that if I buy good stuff the first time, my loss is less if I decide to bail out. Lots of time reading about harmonics will help you understand some of the importance of this. I love this sport , and hope I didn't discourage you. There are cheaper options , such as WEAVER T-36 scopes that can be sufficient , and I have purchased some of these used. Some Winchester 52s have also kicked my butt at times!
TommyH

Post by TommyH »

poor daddy x 3 wrote:Just for information purposes . I shoot a match 54 , professionally bedded . A Harrell tuner , with a 36x Leupold Competition scope. Ammunition is Eley Tennex , $20 a box . My front rest cost $950 and bags in the rear. I also have a 6mm ppc . It is great to shoot , but lots of work to load . Not saying you have to jump this deep all at once , but I have found that if I buy good stuff the first time, my loss is less if I decide to bail out. Lots of time reading about harmonics will help you understand some of the importance of this. I love this sport , and hope I didn't discourage you. There are cheaper options , such as WEAVER T-36 scopes that can be sufficient , and I have purchased some of these used. Some Winchester 52s have also kicked my butt at times!
Thanks all for the great advice. I'll look into the harmonics as am wondering what the difference is between a good bipod and good front rest.
I'm switching from our 10 m pistol range to our rifle range tomorrow night. They've got an Annie 54 match with Fox scope that I can use - plus front rest

Tom
TommyH

Post by TommyH »

poor daddy x 3 wrote:Just for information purposes . I shoot a match 54 , professionally bedded . A Harrell tuner , with a 36x Leupold Competition scope. Ammunition is Eley Tennex , $20 a box . My front rest cost $950 and bags in the rear. I also have a 6mm ppc . It is great to shoot , but lots of work to load . Not saying you have to jump this deep all at once , but I have found that if I buy good stuff the first time, my loss is less if I decide to bail out. Lots of time reading about harmonics will help you understand some of the importance of this. I love this sport , and hope I didn't discourage you. There are cheaper options , such as WEAVER T-36 scopes that can be sufficient , and I have purchased some of these used. Some Winchester 52s have also kicked my butt at times!
Poor daddy x 3

Can I please ask you what size sand bags you use for the rear. I'm using my clubs Annie 54 Match and need a rear sand for the time being, and for when I get my own rig - which will be either a smithed Annie or a whole custom rig. You haven't discouraged me - just whetted my appetite more.

Thanks

Tom
patriot

Post by patriot »

I have a thing for Annie's, from a 1972 1407 to a 2016 54.30 and everything in-between. I'm a prone shooter, not benchrest, but 40x's and 52's and their clones seem to dominate 22 benchrest (50 yards) in the US. If you plan to compete with the big boys attend a few matches as others suggested. The 22 BR shooters I know all use 35x+ scopes. Starting out a quality used rifle would get you into the game. Building a custom rig could run $3,500 to $5,000 (US) with optics.

Mark
Tim S

Post by Tim S »

Tom,

currently having a new barrel fitted to a Match 54 will cost £600-700. So once you get your FAC/rifle, it's worthwhile shooting it as is for a while to see if it really needs a new barrel. If you're buying a used Prone rifle, I'd suggest giving it a really deep clean first and replace the bolt springs. Many club shooters skimp on maintenance. If it does need a new barrel Robert Nibbs and Steve Kershaw are highly recommended for barrel work.
Last edited by Tim S on Mon Jan 01, 2018 3:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TommyH

Post by TommyH »

Tim S wrote:Tom,

currently having a new barrel fitted to a Match 54 will cost £600-700. So once you get your FAC/rifle, it's worthwhile shooting it as is for a while to see if it really needs a new barrel. If you'require buying a used Prone rifle, I'd suggest giving it a really deep clean first and replace the bolt springs. Many club shooters skimp om maintenance. If it does need a new barrel Robert Nibbs and Steve Kershaw are highly recommended for barrel work.
Hi all

Thanks for your great replies. I have spent a solid week looking through all the forums, reading about positive comments about this and that but then would find negative comments which would lead me to different rifles... I've now got a massive headache - so and it's a big so, I've decided to get a custom rig made. I'm not new to rifle shooting. I was a marksman in the army 40 years ago but had to stop shooting when I got an eye disease. I took up air pistol after getting my eye lasered in 2007, I've exhausted that now (Titanium for sale) and am back with a bang for Bench. I just wanted to be absolutely sure I'm doing the right thing and I'm happy that I'm on the right track.

Tom
TommyH

Post by TommyH »

Hi

Can anyone suggest any good reading on Rim-fire Bench Rest?

Thanks