Trigger pulsing?

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963, David Levene, Spencer

masterdouglas

Trigger pulsing?

Post by masterdouglas »

In this video of Bindra at 1:05, a slight pulsing on the trigger can be seen. Does this serve a general purpose? Do coaches coach this? Is it specific to Abi? Is it just part of the routine, like how many dribbles one takes before shooting a free throw? Any solid info on this would be appreciated.

https://youtu.be/jEni8GyZlSg
atomicbrh

Re: Trigger pulsing?

Post by atomicbrh »

I have heard many coaches describe the trigger finger of the Olympic shooter as being the equivalent of the legs of the 100 meter Olympic sprinter. The Olympic sprinter makes a few practice, "warmup" starts out of the blocks before the real start. The shooter makes a few movements in the first stage of the trigger to have the muscles of the trigger finger ready for the actual shot. I found that as I advanced in age and arthritis, this technique helped me. I did not use this technique when I was younger but instead got on the second stage immediately.
TenMetrePeter

Post by TenMetrePeter »

In the video he seems to be putting pulsed pressure on the trigger without moving it, then a noticeable pull travel backwards. I can't tell what stage he is on to be honest. If its on the first stage its a heavy trigger. If it is on the second stage bite point there's a fair amount of trigger over travel.
Tim S

Post by Tim S »

TenMetrePeter wrote:In the video he seems to be putting pulsed pressure on the trigger without moving it, then a noticeable pull travel backwards. I can't tell what stage he is on to be honest. If its on the first stage its a heavy trigger. If it is on the second stage bite point there's a fair amount of trigger over travel.
Peter, I think the trigger is at the release point. However, I don't think that's the second stage, as the trigger isn't moving with his finger, as the first stage would. I think it's actually a single stage trigger, set rather light; he's pulsating his finger to feel the trigger before commiting to the shot. Warren Potent, the World Champion Prone shooter and single-stage user, cold be seen to do the same thing. If the trigger was heavy, he'd just rest his finger on the blade, and press when ready; he can't do that with a light trigger, without the risk of firing early.

Plenty of overtravel is quite common, so you don't bump to a stop while the pellet/bullet is still in the barrel.
TenMetrePeter

Post by TenMetrePeter »

That all makes good sense Tim.
Tim S wrote:Plenty of overtravel is quite common, so you don't bump to a stop while the pellet/bullet is still in the barrel.
I can predict a bit of trigger adjusting on its way after the next round of postals.
Tim S

Post by Tim S »

TenMetrePeter wrote:I can predict a bit of trigger adjusting on its way after the next round of postals.
I think the alternative is no overtravel at all, so the trigger has stopped before the bullet moves. The old BSA Martini .22s have barely any travel, and shoot very well.
masterdouglas

Post by masterdouglas »

Thank you for all of your responses.
Albert T

Post by Albert T »

This trigger item was talked about in detail during my ISSF D-coach course in The Netherlands aprox. a month ago.
The pulsation motion on the trigger is done to keep the sensing motion of the trigger vinger 'alive'. It is done when taking away the first stage of the trigger. When pressure on the trigger is applied for a longer time (5 to 10 seconds or so) the feeling in the sensing nerves start to get less and less and the feeling for the correct pressure on the trigger is getting less. By pulsating the pressure of the triggerfinger on the trigger the pressure nerves keep activated or 'alive' and the shooter stays better aware of how much pressure is put on the trigger.
Again: this is done during the first stage of the trigger, before getting to the pressure point.

Albert T
The Netherlands