The one in it was 8 1/8 --- spring in kit --9 1/2 " --
What is factory length please -- can someone in the know measure one they
Have and let me know which one of these to use ---
That long one is gonna really up the cocking pressure and speed ---
Thank You --
Rover

Re: FWB 300

Post by Rover »

Since no one appears to be helping you out....

I suspect the spring in your gun has been compressed over the years, thereby shortening it compared to a new spring. Install the new (longer) spring and give the gun a try. I wouldn't be at all concerned with the cocking effort being increased; velocity, perhaps. You may like the results.
Packrat1947

Post by Packrat1947 »

I once put a Macarri spring in my 300. I took measurements of the old spring and the new. After a few months I removed the Macarri and returned to the original. The Macarri had shrunk over an inch - although shot very little.

The Macarri was supposed to be extra strong, but I didn't like the way the rifle behaved. It was no longer a pleasant smooth shooter. It was kind of "raspy" or "harsh". Hard to put into words. Even plinking in the backyard, or shooting grackles and starlings was not pleasant.

If you want an original-type counter-wound double-spring you can get it from Nikkonos on ebay. He has supplied me with several new plastic stock parts that had deteriorated on my 1985 FWB 300S Universal. He is in Canada.

http://stores.ebay.com/Olympic-Marksman-Equipment

Good Shooting and luck,
Packrat1947
Wynne G Oldman

Post by Wynne G Oldman »

Mr. Rover is correct. I have rebuilt a FWB 300S with a genuine repair kit from FWB with 2 springs. The old springs that came out of the rifle were considerably shorter than the replacements. The rifle shot like new afterwards, and should continue to do so for many years to come.
Morini 162 EI
Anschutz 1913 Supermatch
kevinweiho

Post by kevinweiho »

Wynne G Oldman wrote:Mr. Rover is correct. I have rebuilt a FWB 300S with a genuine repair kit from FWB with 2 springs. The old springs that came out of the rifle were considerably shorter than the replacements. The rifle shot like new afterwards, and should continue to do so for many years to come.
I've heard from a source that OEM FWB springs should last around 100k shots. My FWB 80 has over 35k shots, using the older springs and replacing the deteriorated seals, it's still capable of single hole groups.
6mmintl

Post by 6mmintl »

You might want to scagged the spring, get a threaded rod with nuts and 2 washers each end.

Measure the I'd, measure the wire dia. And number of coils and figure out total length depressed coil against coil and make a spacer that length and inside diameter of coils.

Compress spring and straighten any twisting of coils and let it set 4 hrs.

Your spring will take a set and last longer, giving you max power for its size, coils, mechanical strength and it prevents premature faulure.

Make sure you reground ends square to length and deburr, Polish ends.