Single or dual stage triggers - discussion

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963, David Levene, Spencer

Giddaymate

Single or dual stage triggers - discussion

Post by Giddaymate »

Do you guys have link - or your input - into discussion about pros and cons of the two types of triggers, single or dual stage?

Looking for literature on that.

Thanks
Tim S

Re: Single or dual stage triggers - discussion

Post by Tim S »

Most shooters use a two-stage nowadays, partly because that's how the factory set it. In practise the design allows a very light, but very safe release. Two stage triggers have deep sear engagement, which is mostly taken up over the first stage, leaving the sear on a knife edge for the release, but will reset if the pressure is relaxed. In comparison single stage triggers must be set with very little sear engagement in total to avoid creep. This means the 2nd stage can be lighter than a single stage trigger, without the risk of Negligent Discharges or slamfires. You need to be very careful with a single stage trigger if you want it crisp and very light.

In terms of technique, two-stage triggers are used as single stage at the point of firing. The first stage is taken up and then held, rather than pulling through both together. The long double pull was intended as a safety feature when two-stage triggers first appeared on military rifles.

That said some shooters prefer a single stage. There is less movement, so it can be quicker to fire. Warren Potent, and Guy Starik certainly use a single stage with some success. Marcel Bürge, Valerian Sauveplane, and Torben Grimmel may do as well. These are all the factory two-stage adjusted to single stage. Single stage-only triggers are made, but most are Rem 700 pattern Bench rest designs like the Jewel, and won't readily fit European actions. Kenyon triggers are well known to older smallbore shooters, but sadly are no longer made.
patriot

Post by patriot »

I prefer single stage for prone; why pull the trigger twice when a light weight isn't a risk. Service rifles are two stage due to the rules. For offhand its generally a two stage or a set trigger. The set triggers on the high end Ballards, Winchesters, and Stevens are excellent. If I back off a shot I reset the action to avoid the sear not resetting.

Mark
dezzick3

Post by dezzick3 »

Since I find it incredibly tricky to take up the first stage before coming onto aim as I lack the courage, I made my first stage incredibly short (for prone). The safety aspect is still there but it's a lot quicker to fire than a longer two stage, many others in my club have also benefitted from such a change.
Tim S

Post by Tim S »

dezzick3 wrote:Since I find it incredibly tricky to take up the first stage before coming onto aim as I lack the courage, I made my first stage incredibly short (for prone). The safety aspect is still there but it's a lot quicker to fire than a longer two stage, many others in my club have also benefitted from such a change.
Dezzick,

did you alter the sear engagement, or just the first stage travel? If it was the latter, then the trigger is mechanically still a two-stage, as the travel is a separate function. How far each stage travels is really down to personal preference, just like how heavy each stage is.
patriot

Post by patriot »

dezzick3 wrote:I made my first stage incredibly short (for prone)
I did the same on one Anschutz. I've also made the transition from first to second stage undetectable on another to cure "going after it" - one very light pull were I couldn't anticipate the break. The Anschutz trigger is very flexible. For long range the Jewells are set to feel as though there is just an increase in pressure; no movement.

Mark
beye

Post by beye »

I prefer single stage for prone -- matter of getting used to keeping finger off trigger until close. Kenyons, Jewells and a Canjar on my SB prone rifles. 2 stage preferable for standing. I think if I went back to 3P, it would be a 2 stage trigger -- never learned to consistently control light single stage ones except in prone.
dezzick3

Post by dezzick3 »

Tim S wrote:
dezzick3 wrote:Since I find it incredibly tricky to take up the first stage before coming onto aim as I lack the courage, I made my first stage incredibly short (for prone). The safety aspect is still there but it's a lot quicker to fire than a longer two stage, many others in my club have also benefitted from such a change.
Dezzick,

did you alter the sear engagement, or just the first stage travel? If it was the latter, then the trigger is mechanically still a two-stage, as the travel is a separate function. How far each stage travels is really down to personal preference, just like how heavy each stage is.
Tim, just made the first stage travel almost nothing, tiny movement and then I hit the "stop" of the second stage
Tim S

Post by Tim S »

dezzick3 wrote: Tim, just made the first stage travel almost nothing, tiny movement and then I hit the "stop" of the second stage
Thank you. Does the the shorter travel alter the perception of the weight. My initial thought is that the first stage would feel heavier, which would work to your advantage as you can feel it better. I just took out the first stage travel entirely and adjusted the sear to make a single stage.