Anschutz SuperAir 2002 questions

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963, David Levene, Spencer

acorneau

Anschutz SuperAir 2002 questions

Post by acorneau »

Howdy folks,

I recently purchased a 2002 SSP for air rifle silhouette and now I've got a few questions. For reference, it hasn't been serviced for at least 8 years, possibly longer than that. Also, I'm new to air rifles so I'm still a newbie for these things.

1. When I close the cocking handle it keeps banging my knuckles on the stock. Is the little shock-absorber in the cocking handle supposed to prevent this? I read in the manual that it should be replaced every 20,000 pellets or every three years, so I'm guessing it's way past due. Where do I get parts?

2. The manual also stated that the breech block closing should take 8-9 pounds of force to snap shut and there is an adjustment bolt to change this. It seems lighter than my friends 2002 but I don't have them side-by-side to compare. Any ideas on how to measure this before I go adjusting things?

3. The black paint on the underside is a little worn off in places and I'd like to touch it up a little. Is there some special paint that's used for this? I'd rather not have to paint the whole thing if I can help it.

4. My friend's 2002 has a little filler strip in the bottom rail making it more comfortable on the support hand. (We don't get to use gloves for silhouette unless weather deems it appropriate.) What's that thing called and where can I get one?

I appreciate any answers you guys may be able to provide.
------
Allen Corneau
Packrat1947

Re: Anschutz SuperAir 2002 questions

Post by Packrat1947 »

There is a "V" shaped plastic bumper that keeps the cocking handle from banging into the stock. I had to replace one of mine a couple of years ago. Your bumper may be missing.

The charging handle shoud be closed without undo force or snap.

If you need a picture, I can send you that. I bought my bumpers, o-ring, grease, etc from Gartland. Here's part of my mail from him. It looks like the website is no long valid.

"Chuck Gartland <gartland.chuck@yahoo.com>

1/15/13
The bumpers are $10 each and the barrel seals are $14 each. Both are in stock.

Best Regards,
Chuck

Gartland Precision LLC
P.O. Box 295
200 East Bangor Street
Selby, SD 57472
Tel. 605-649-1173
www.gartlandprecisionllc.com"
acorneau

Post by acorneau »

Packrat1947 wrote:There is a "V" shaped plastic bumper that keeps the cocking handle from banging into the stock. I had to replace one of mine a couple of years ago. Your bumper may be missing.

I think you are correct. I tried the website (out of service) and his phone (disconnected) with no luck, so I sent an email and hope I hear back from him.

Thanks.
------
Allen Corneau
kevinkunkle

Post by kevinkunkle »

Neal Stepp at ISS has parts.
Packrat1947

Post by Packrat1947 »

If Neal can't help you, you might personal message Jim E.

Mr. Edmonton imports and sells a lot of SSPs here, and he could point you in the right direction. Just a thought. Maybe someone here has his email. I think it begins with troutman...........?

Good luck
pilkguns
Site Admin

Post by pilkguns »

the current bumpers are now made out of aluminum

Chuck Gartland has dropped off the face of the earth. Not sure where he is at or what happened to him.

Meanwhile, you might try the hosts of this board........ they have been doing Anschutz service for over 20 years now. Along with getting ongoing training in with the factory in Germany in May of last year. and again in November. And Buck is up at the NCAAs this weekend as their official gunsmith .

Just sayin......
acorneau

Post by acorneau »

pilkguns wrote: Meanwhile, you might try the hosts of this board....

I tried to call them several times earlier this week with no answer and no voice mail to leave a message. Also sent an email and didn't hear back from them. Is there a better way to get in contact with them?

Unfortunately I've been asking around to all the resources mentioned so far (and several others I've found elsewhere) with no real progress in getting the parts I'm looking for, so I'm getting a bit frustrated. I hope you'll understand my predicament.

Thanks.

[Edited my response to have a better tone than the way I wrote it at first.]
------
Allen Corneau
pilkguns
Site Admin

Post by pilkguns »

Well now , that could be. apparently the lightning storm last weekend did some weird things to our phone system. all outgoing lines were working and two incoming lines were working, but the main one, tied to the answering machine was not. we didn't discover this until Wednesday afternoon after several complaints about unanswerd calls via text messages to me. And the phone company didn't resolve it till Thursday midday.

But I don't know why we wouldn't have gotten an email. Please try again.
pilkguns
Site Admin

Post by pilkguns »

and it seems that line is still not working again today...... Grrrrr
Scott J

Post by Scott J »

acorneau wrote:Howdy folks,

I recently purchased a 2002 SSP for air rifle silhouette and now I've got a few questions. For reference, it hasn't been serviced for at least 8 years, possibly longer than that. Also, I'm new to air rifles so I'm still a newbie for these things.

1. When I close the cocking handle it keeps banging my knuckles on the stock. Is the little shock-absorber in the cocking handle supposed to prevent this? I read in the manual that it should be replaced every 20,000 pellets or every three years, so I'm guessing it's way past due. Where do I get parts?

2. The manual also stated that the breech block closing should take 8-9 pounds of force to snap shut and there is an adjustment bolt to change this. It seems lighter than my friends 2002 but I don't have them side-by-side to compare. Any ideas on how to measure this before I go adjusting things?

3. The black paint on the underside is a little worn off in places and I'd like to touch it up a little. Is there some special paint that's used for this? I'd rather not have to paint the whole thing if I can help it.

4. My friend's 2002 has a little filler strip in the bottom rail making it more comfortable on the support hand. (We don't get to use gloves for silhouette unless weather deems it appropriate.) What's that thing called and where can I get one?

I appreciate any answers you guys may be able to provide.
Might try Joe Hein at Elite Shooting Sports LINK>>>> http://eliteshootingsport.com/service/ He is a certified Anschutz gunsmith. He serviced a couple of rifles for the kids around here, reasonably priced and reasonable amount of time. Plus he is a genuinely nice guy!

Scott