Shooting in new rifle

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963, David Levene, Spencer

Joost99

Shooting in new rifle

Post by Joost99 »

Hi,

Any views on whether a new barrel needs 'shooting in' prior to doing batch testing etc? The more experienced shooters at my club talk about needing to put a few thousand rounds through to 'settle down' a new barrel. Not sure whether this is actually about the shooter getting used to a new stock or whether there is an actual wearing in period (which sounds surprising).

Justin
Tim S

Re: Shooting in new rifle

Post by Tim S »

Justin,

if you're talking smallbores, then yes I believe that Eley do not recommend batch testing until the 500-1000 round mark. I can't speak for Lapua and RWS. Yes, I understand this is to allow the barrel to settle. When a barrel is fitted, the chambering reamer leaves sharp edges at the start of the rifling grooves. These will smooth out with use (mostly from the primer debris blasting out), but as this happens the barrels' preference for one batch over another can change. Some barrels may settle immediately, or very quickly.
Bryan996

Post by Bryan996 »

Eley told me last year when I had my 1913 rebarreled that they dont recommend batch testing until 2000 rounds.

I havent been up to them yet as I was waiting for my second rifle to be rebarreled too but at around 5000 rounds the performance seemed to improve.
Joost99

Post by Joost99 »

Thanks - very helpful, better get shooting then!