Is it worth considering a light or women rifle.

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963, David Levene, Spencer

Rhysatkins

Is it worth considering a light or women rifle.

Post by Rhysatkins »

I am 5'7 and i would say a reasonable build but have short arms and small wrists. Is it worth considering for example the KK500 light. is there any guidelines on size of human to rifles, most just say for women and juniors and I know plenty who are the same size as I am.

or is this just another case of going to test them and see what feels best.
Tim S

Re: Is it worth considering a light or women rifle.

Post by Tim S »

Rhys,

Yes, smaller-framed men somtimes find a standard barrel is too heavy, especially for 3-P shooting.

I'm more familiar with Anschutz rifles, but I think the KK500 can be had with a 690mm heavy, or a 650mm standard, or a 650mm light. If the standard is the same as a standard KK300, it's much the same as an Anschutz 1907. Most women/smaller men Anschutz-shooters pick a 1907 (or an older xx07). So the KK500 Standard may well be fine for you. The Walther 650mm light barrel looks pretty light in comparison. So yes, I think you need to try the options to see what you like.

The disciplines that you shoot will also have a bearing. If you only shoot prone, you may find the standard is ok, or that even the 690mm balances well (the short KK500 bolt will bring the weight back). However it's easier to add weight than to remove it.
gwsb

Post by gwsb »

If you have short arms you might want to consider where the loading port is relative to the trigger. The further forward it is the harder it is to load in prone. The Anschutz 19 and 20 series are the worst of all for this with the 54.30 being slightly better but the Walther KK 500 and Bleiker have the loading port directly over the trigger.
GaryN

Post by GaryN »

I'm 5'4" and shoot a P70-jr.
The smaller junior rifle fits me better than the full size rifle.
The LoP is at it's minimum of 11-3/4 inches, and my AR coach would have made the LoP shorter if he could.

The only irritation is that the P70-jr has an ambi stock, vs. a true right hand stock of the full size rifles. And where that bothers me is the thumb position of the pistol grip. If I had a RIGHT HAND junior size stock, I would be happy.
JWZimmerer21

Post by JWZimmerer21 »

I have a left handed Anschutz 2012 stock for sale if you're left handed.