KK500 Blacktec

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963, David Levene, Spencer

kbean

KK500 Blacktec

Post by kbean »

Any thoughts on these? Same KK500, but cheaper/less adaptable stock?
Thank you
Shakeyaim

Re: KK500 Blacktec

Post by Shakeyaim »

I have one. It's my first target rifle and I'm not the best shot so I'm not in a situation to give much of a review of it. The way I saw it prior to buying was pretty much as you summed up yourself - cheaper/lass adaptable stock with the KK500 business end. I reckoned as a beginner I wouldn't make the most of the bells and whistles stock anyway and I could save myself over 2 grand on the purchase price. I've upgraded the butt stock on mine to a Gehmann unit, also changed the sights - so that eats into the savings originally made a bit.

I've also done some mostly free DIY adaptations to the stock to make it "mine". The fore end has quite sharp edges where the sides meet the bottom surface of the stock. I found this really dug into my hand and made it numb faster than I'd like so I took a file and put a radius to the left hand edge (right handed shooter), then polished the exposed aluminium with emery cloth to give it a nice smooth and reasonable looking appearance. I made up a little aluminium adapter plate to allow me to mount the cheek rest further forward than what is possible with the built in adjustment that the stock has. I also opened up the slot on the aluminium cheek rest support post to allow me to easily remove it completely from the rifle - it just makes things a little easier when fiddling about and making adjustments to the set-up. I bought a thumb screw with adjustable handle to replace the bolt that adjusts the height of the cheekpiece - this allows me to adjust it without the need for an allen key. That's a draw back with the cheaper stock - everything on it requires an allen key.