Sight issue

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963, David Levene, Spencer

woogie_man

Sight issue

Post by woogie_man »

Have a question for you guys.

I have an Anschutz 8002 S2 that has an MEC bloop tube along with raised sections for the sights. The issue I am having is that I have the rear sight so high that I am seeing the top of the sight block ( if that makes any sense ) So when I look through the rear peep sight I am seeing a flat on the top of the sight. So I am thinking that I have the sight adjusted to high up and is causing the issue. I have removed the antiglare tube and am still running into the same issue.

The only thing I can think of is the height difference from the original barrel to the Mec tube is enough to get the sights out of alignment. Is there a way to get things to line up correctly, without having to buy another sight riser for either the rear or front sight?

Anschutz 20mm Sight Risers
22mm Centra Front Sight
22mm Centra High End aperture
6805 Anschutz Rear Sight 10 Click/rev

Any thoughts or ideas?
Tim S

Re: Sight issue

Post by Tim S »

Simple questions: have you fired shots to re-zero yet? And if you have, are you able to click enough hit the centre of the target?

If you haven't re-zeroed yet, do that first. The extension tube is likely to change the relative height of the foresight. Adding 20mm of raisers will change the vertical zero too. Depending on machining tolerances of the raisers vs the rifle dovetails and barrel curvature you may need windage correction too. Once you have established where your POI is, and applied the sight correction, you should be looking more through the centre of the foresight tunnel. Remember the foresight tunnel is always parallel

Don't try to get the sights level. The rearsight MUST be higher than the front: because gravity pulls the pellet downwards, the rearsight is higher to lob shots down range. Most rearsights have enough elevation adjustment to handle raiser blocks, but throw in a taller foresight (22mm vs the factory 18mm) and/or a tube, and you can struggle to zero.

If you have tried to re-zero, but can't click enough to hit the centre, then yes you need to change something. A slim (4mm) raiser under the rearsight would free up enough elevation if you need to click up; put the raiser under the foresight if you need more clicks down. An lower or 18mm tunnel would also give you more clicks up.

It's also worth remembering that the foresight is parallel to the base, it doesn't pivot to be parallel to the sightline; if your sightline is at a steeper angle, due to raisers, you may not be looking dead centre through the tunnel even after zeroing.
woogie_man

Post by woogie_man »

I have the rifle zeroed so that isn't an issue, it is more of am annoyance than anything else. But if that is something I have to get used to...so be it.
Tim S

Post by Tim S »

You could try a translucent tunnel like the Centra Crystal, the Anschutz Race or one of the other tunnel-less foresights. The misalignment may be kess obvious, or not visible, with these.

Probably simpler than having the base of your foresight machined so the axis perfectly matches your sightline.
woogie_man

Post by woogie_man »

I have taken the anti glare tube off the front sight, and the issue is still there. I am assuming I will have the same issue if I take the rear iris off.
Tim S

Post by Tim S »

woogie_man wrote: Fri Apr 01, 2022 4:11 pm I have taken the anti glare tube off the front sight, and the issue is still there. I am assuming I will have the same issue if I take the rear iris off.
If your problem is seeing the top of the foresight tunnel, then removing the rearsight iris doesn't strike me as the answer. And you'd loose the facility to adjust the brightness of your sight picture. That's why ai mentioned the Race firesight, as there's no tunnel to see.

I run raisers on my smallbore and can see the inside of the tunnel when the light is right. I can't say that this has ever interfered with my aim. The longer sight radius may make a difference.