Beginner smallbore

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963, David Levene, Spencer

migosluvr2017

Beginner smallbore

Post by migosluvr2017 »

I have been shooting (air rifle) competitively for about 6 months and I need to get a smallbore rifle. I am left eyed and I currently use a Walther LG400, which weighs about 9.26 pounds. I am looking for a left handed/eyed smallbore rifle that can last several years, with a similar weight and style. I would be great with Walther, Feinwerkbau, or Anschutz, and hopefully a not overpriced rifle. If anyone has recommendations or ideas, please let me know. Thanks!

Here is a picture of my current rifle
https://www.google.com/search?q=walther ... FH7WNxf5hM:
Tim S

Re: Beginner smallbore

Post by Tim S »

If you can afford one, the Walther KK500 appears to be the hot choice at present, delivering excellent accuracy at about 2/3rd the cost of Bleiker and Grunig rifles. However an Anschutz 1913 (or the lighter 1907) in your choice of stock, is a proven choice, even though it's not the most modern design. The FWB is certainly a good rifle; I personally don't like the balance, but that's me. FWB do not make a left-handed rearsight though.

However many novice smallbore shooters will buy a used rifle, rather than a new one. Smallbore barrels shoot accurately for a long time, and unlike air rifles, there have been very few changes to barrels and actions in the last 40 years (Bleiker and Grunig excepted). The principal difference between a 1977 Anschutz Match 54 and a 2017 1913 is the stock; modern stocks are fancier. Rifles are generally well treated, so there are few risks in buying used; generally a good clean (especially the barrel) and new firing pin springs will be all that is needed.

Since you mention weight, most smallbore rifles will be heavier than your LG400. Competition rules allow weights of 6.5kg for women, and 8kg for men. Anschutz, Walther, and FWB offer lighter barrels, but even these will be heavier than 9.26lb. The only rifle I can think of that is about that weight is the Anschutz 1903, although this is a junior model, and not comparable to an LG400. You don't mention your age/gender/size, but most adults can deal with a standard weight smallbore. Adult men shooting prone-only generally pick a heavy barrel (ie an Anschutz 1913).
Last edited by Tim S on Fri Feb 24, 2017 11:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
migosluvr2017

Post by migosluvr2017 »

Thank you so much. I forgot to mention but I am a 3p female shooter and I'm not used to heavy rifles. I'll check out the ones you mentioned and I'll probably test some in person to see how they feel. Thanks again!
methosb

Post by methosb »

migosluvr2017 wrote:Thank you so much. I forgot to mention but I am a 3p female shooter and I'm not used to heavy rifles. I'll check out the ones you mentioned and I'll probably test some in person to see how they feel. Thanks again!
Female shooters often order those same rifles but with a shorter and sometimes thinner barrel to keep the weight down. All manufacturers have this as an option eg. Anschutz xx07.
Tim S

Post by Tim S »

migosluvr2017 wrote:Thank you so much. I forgot to mention but I am a 3p female shooter and I'm not used to heavy rifles. I'll check out the ones you mentioned and I'll probably test some in person to see how they feel. Thanks again!
Yep, as above all the manufacturers offer lighter barrels for their top-end guns. Anschutz call theirs the 1907 (also a complete rifle, but available as just the barrel/action); FWB make a really light fluted barrel.

If you're looking at second hand rifles an Anschutz 1912 or 1914 would be ideal, as these combine the lighter 1907 barrel in a ladies size wood stock that's a bit lighter than the alu models, but still has lots of adjustment. Used Walther and FWB rifles are a less common in the UK, but a nearly new rifle with a light barrel would be great. Depending on your budget, a cheaper option would be an older rifle, like a UIT standard; these are only a little heavier than your LG400, although with a fairly basic stock, but if it's an Anschutz older barrels will drop straight into a new (or nearly new) stock.

Depending on where you live, having a gunsmith fit a lighter and/or shorter barrel to a used rifle, or shorten an existing barrel could be an option. Light aluminium extension tubes can bring the sight radius up to normal.
jhmartin

Post by jhmartin »

Where do you live? ... I can give you a line on 2 very lightly used rifles here in the USA. One a 1912 and another a 1914.