Loading a SSP question

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963, David Levene, Spencer

Pastprime

Loading a SSP question

Post by Pastprime »

I don't have a SSP air rifle yet but am considering either the FWB 601 or Anschutz 2001. I've looked at the Anschutz manual and tried to find information about the FWB but still have to ask: Do you load both of these while the cocking lever is opened which I believe opens the breech and then close the lever. Seems that I saw a photo some year ago of someone's thumb that was caught when the lever/breech closed suddenly while he was inserting a pellet. Is there any danger of that happening with either of the two rifles I'm considering?
Rover

Re: Loading a SSP question

Post by Rover »

The rifle that caught the thumb was either an M1 rifle or a "springer". A SSP would never do that. Just be careful what you stick in the breech.
Pastprime

Post by Pastprime »

Rover wrote:The rifle that caught the thumb was either an M1 rifle or a "springer". A SSP would never do that. Just be careful what you stick in the breech.
Thank you for the reply. Could it have been an older "recoilless" like a FWB 300??
TenMetrePeter

Post by TenMetrePeter »

Pastprime wrote:
Rover wrote:The rifle that caught the thumb was either an M1 rifle or a "springer". A SSP would never do that. Just be careful what you stick in the breech.
Thank you for the reply. Could it have been an older "recoilless" like a FWB 300??
Only if the anti-bear trap mechanism had been tampered with. Its that click click click sound. Some very early sidelever springers may not have anti bear trap but not many still exist.
Pastprime

Post by Pastprime »

TenMetrePeter wrote:
Pastprime wrote:
Only if the anti-bear trap mechanism had been tampered with. Its that click click click sound. Some very early sidelever springers may not have anti bear trap but not many still exist.

I appreciate the information. It's nice to know there is no safety issue with whatever I buy; other than where I point it.
Packrat1947

Post by Packrat1947 »

On my Anschutz SuperAirs, loading the pellet, and closing the breech are the last events. I've have a 2001 and a couple of 2002s.

If you ever have the inclination to mount a scope, the 2001 is the first choice. Then comes the 2002 close behind.

As we age, scopes are more sensible for shooting horseflies and yellow jackets in the backyard. Here's a decent horsefly gun. I have since added a shoulder stock.

Also, I'm including a nice 1979 postage stamp from Austria. Looks like a couple of FWBs.
Attachments
FWB stamp-brown bkgrd.jpg
IZH 46M with Unertl 8X .jpg
IZH 46M with Unertl 8X .jpg (52.51 KiB) Viewed 1058 times
Rover

Post by Rover »

A lovely example of the "kludge."