Walther KKM Trigger Question

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963, David Levene, Spencer

Westporter

Walther KKM Trigger Question

Post by Westporter »

I recently acquired a vintage (1960's?) Walther KKM International Match in excellent condition with all the parts and pieces including the original manual. However, the trigger mechanism has a post with a spring plunger just forward of the guard but before the front attachment screw. I cannot figure the purpose of this mechanism nor does the manual, or any other manual I have seen, show a trigger with this mechanism. I found this question addressed on a post many years old, but the answer to me was not clear. Any help here?

I have posted a photo of the trigger assembly without the aforementioned guard for reference>
Attachments
IMG_6131.JPG
Tim S

Re: Walther KKM Trigger Question

Post by Tim S »

Does it set the trigger?
Westporter

Post by Westporter »

No - it is a two-stage trigger; not a set trigger. What the photo does not show well is that the plunger inside the tube has a slotted end which you can turn either by hand or with a standard driver; then push the plunger down a ways (it is on a spring), turn it to a notch in the tube, and then it locks in the down position.
TomAmlie

Post by TomAmlie »

I seem to recall someone telling me that that was a device to switch over to a "heavy" trigger in order to mimic a service rifle trigger pull. Does having it in or out affect the trigger pull?
Westporter

Post by Westporter »

Spot on! Mystery solved. That is exactly what the mechanism does, and in fact, solves another mystery. Among the "goodies" that came with the rifle was a small, knurled, black-handled screwdriver in its own soft case. Did not seem to fit the sights or anything else, for that matter. Turns out, the driver is used to set the mechanism to the heavier pull (still two-staged) or back to the light trigger. Thank you very much.
TomAmlie

Post by TomAmlie »

Glad to help. Is that the "light" version or the "heavy" version? My first "real" target rifle was a Walther KKM of about the same vintage, but without that special trigger. It was the "light" version at a svelte 7.1kg (15.6#). I recently bought an incomplete example of the "heavy" version (17.2#) with that same trigger, but it's missing bolt, trigger guard, buttplate, etc.

The "light" version has a gently tapered barrel; the heavy version is a straight barrel, and the front sight mount is machined into the barrel, rather than being mounted proud of the barrel.