Stippling or checkering of grip

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963, David Levene, Spencer

hkshooter

Stippling or checkering of grip

Post by hkshooter »

Does stippling or checkering of the rifle grip allowed in the ISSF/Olympic air rifle events? Thanks.
Marc Orvin

Re: Stippling or checkering of grip

Post by Marc Orvin »

7.4.2.5 Material that gives increased grip may not be added to the foreend,
pistol grip or lower part of the stock.

The rule as I understand it only applies to "material" being added. Material such as skate board tape is not allowed. Stippling or checkering is not material.

One of the smart guys will undoubtedly be along directly to correct me if I am in error.
TexasShooter

Post by TexasShooter »

How about the grip tape on this fore end? Is that legal?

Last edited by TexasShooter on Wed Dec 28, 2016 5:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TexasShooter

Post by TexasShooter »

And how about the material added to this grip? Is this legal?

Marc Orvin

Post by Marc Orvin »

Not knowing what it is on the forend in the first picture, I can't say if it is legal or not. See the rule posted. If it improves grip and has been added to the forend, then it is not legal. However, from that angle it appears that her right hand is touching the sleeve of the jacket on the left arm. That is not legal, but again, the picture is taken at such an angle to make it unclear if that is really happening. An official would have to get right up close to determine if her right hand is touching her left jacket sleeve.

As far as the second picture, again, I can't tell. Again, see the rule. If it is in fact a substance that improves grip, then it is not legal. If it is only to make the grip fit his hand, then it should be OK.

In addition, see this rule:
7.4.2.3 If a stock is less than the maximum allowed in any dimension, it may be brought up to the measurements shown in the Rifle
Measurements Table. Any addition must be within the permitted dimensions and in no case may the pistol grip, cheek-piece or
lower part of the stock be anatomically formed.
TexasShooter

Post by TexasShooter »

Marc, as always, thank you for your clarification!