FWB 601 questions

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963, David Levene, Spencer

tiptop

FWB 601 questions

Post by tiptop »

Does anyone have experience with the FWB 600 – 603 series? I’m wondering what the expected MV should be with various weight pellets? Any preferences for grain wt. or brand? Thanks!
Mtl_Biker

Re: FWB 601 questions

Post by Mtl_Biker »

tiptop wrote:Does anyone have experience with the FWB 600 – 603 series? I’m wondering what the expected MV should be with various weight pellets? Any preferences for grain wt. or brand? Thanks!
Welcome to the board. Looks like folks here don't really like to respond to velocity questions or even best pellet questions.

I recently sold my FWB 602 and don't remember what the velocity was, other than that it was somewhere around 550 fps. Certainly all that was needed to put a nice clean hole in paper at 10 meters. I was shooting "rifle" pellets with it, and tried several with the better ones being H&N Finale Match Rifle (now called "Heavy") and JSB Match Diabolo. Both shot much more accurately than I could shoot. But the rifle did prefer smaller rather than larger head diameter and I found 4.49mm was the best.

But every gun is different, even same make/model guns can vary and the only option for you is to try a bunch of different pellets (and head sizes) to determine which works best for you.

Have fun!
AA S510 Xtra FAC Ultimate Sporter *CARBINE* .22
CZ200S "Green" .177
Feinwerkbau 800 Evolution Top
AA S400 MPR FT .177
Steyr EVO 10
Weihrauch HW50S .22
tiptop

Post by tiptop »

Thanks very much for the info. One more question: is it ok to dry fire the 601? It's a single stroke pneumatic and I'm guessing it would do no harm but does anyone know for sure? Thanks!
Mtl_Biker

Post by Mtl_Biker »

tiptop wrote:Thanks very much for the info. One more question: is it ok to dry fire the 601? It's a single stroke pneumatic and I'm guessing it would do no harm but does anyone know for sure? Thanks!
The 601 unlike the 602 and higher, has no "dedicated" dry fire mechanism, but yes, it's okay to dry fire. The only disadvantage is it's louder and you've got to pump the lever.
AA S510 Xtra FAC Ultimate Sporter *CARBINE* .22
CZ200S "Green" .177
Feinwerkbau 800 Evolution Top
AA S400 MPR FT .177
Steyr EVO 10
Weihrauch HW50S .22
tiptop

Post by tiptop »

Thanks much!
salar600

Post by salar600 »

No I think not, based on the information I got at the time the 601 was THE rifle to have, it is not safe to dry fire with it.
Ed333

Post by Ed333 »

Mtl_Biker wrote:
tiptop wrote:Does anyone have experience with the FWB 600 – 603 series? I’m wondering what the expected MV should be with various weight pellets? Any preferences for grain wt. or brand? Thanks!
Welcome to the board. Looks like folks here don't really like to respond to velocity questions or even best pellet questions.

I recently sold my FWB 602 and don't remember what the velocity was, other than that it was somewhere around 550 fps. Certainly all that was needed to put a nice clean hole in paper at 10 meters. I was shooting "rifle" pellets with it, and tried several with the better ones being H&N Finale Match Rifle (now called "Heavy") and JSB Match Diabolo. Both shot much more accurately than I could shoot. But the rifle did prefer smaller rather than larger head diameter and I found 4.49mm was the best.

But every gun is different, even same make/model guns can vary and the only option for you is to try a bunch of different pellets (and head sizes) to determine which works best for you.

Have fun!

My 602 seems to like RWS R10 Match, 8.2 gr. I wish I was a better offhand shot, but at my age, I think I'll stick to benchrest.