The quiet eye technique - any use?

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963, David Levene, Spencer

Cumbrian

The quiet eye technique - any use?

Post by Cumbrian »

I have read a little about this technique or theory as an aid to accuracy and just wonder how applicable it might be to small bore target shooting. Anyone know anything about this?

Letting the eye dwell or concentrate on the relevant object makes sense to me if the object is, say, a golf ball on the tee, but how much time does one have when the object is the inner circle of the foresight with the black wavering at its centre and when the eye will start to play tricks on you after a few seconds of concentrated focus? (Incidentally, how many seconds does one have? I have never been sure.) Is the whole idea worth training for or not?
Albert T

Re: The quiet eye technique - any use?

Post by Albert T »

The Quit Eye technique has noting to do with seeing the target in the center of the sights.
It has everything to do with the mind feeling the position of the body in relation to the position of the target and the movements of the body.
I have used this technique for the last year with success in the SH1 standing position. As result of an muscle decease I lost part of the strength and functioning of my nervous system and muscles.
I use the QE as follows:
When in shooting position but before you place your cheek on the stock, stair past your rear sight to the target for at least 2 seconds. In this period the brain stores the exact position of the target in relation to the position and movement(s) of your body.
Next place your check on the stock and start the aiming process. You will feel that your body wants to move to the correct position, due to the information stored in the brain a few seconds before.
This unconcious action allows you to be concentrated and centered on the target without conscious muscle use, and keeps all your attention on aiming and triggering. All the councious attention goes to the 'feel' and the execution of the shot, not to the target.

This is why basketball players, soccer players and golfers can hit the net or the flag pole with one shot or shoot a goal, even without looking at it. Just watch them the 2 or 3 seconds before they shoot: they stare at the target and then execute the shot without looking at the target or the goalkeeper. They only look at the exact spot they want to hit/cick the ball. Everything there after is done on 'automatic pilot'.

Albert T
(The Netherlands)
Cumbrian

Post by Cumbrian »

Albert,

Thank you for that helpful explanation. I wonder, however, if the technique can be applied so readily to prone shooting? What would you do if you were shooting in the prone position? I have heard that it helps to look at the target as you get down to shoot, but once you are down on the mat would it not be difficult to look at the target (except through the sights) without twisting the body out of position? As a right hander, with my scope on the left, I would have to move to the right to look at the target properly. The prone position is very stable but it is also fixed, or so it seems to me.

Roger
Albert T

Post by Albert T »

Roger,
when in position, before you position your cheeck on the stock, all you have to do is move your head very slightly to the left so you are looking on the (left) side of the rear sight at the target. This gives the brain the proper signals of 'feel' for the body an target position. All you do next is lower the cheeck on the stock. This is made easyer by the small sights that give room to see the windflags.
If you use sight raisers, you can use a lefthanded rearsight and turn it up-side-down so the knobs are then still on the top and right hand side, but you increase the area around the sight where you can look round. This is what many Chinese topshots do. (you must first remove the pin or screw that blocks the maximum rotation angle of the sight).

edit: when the sight is turned up-side down the knobs are on the bottom and right hand side, so you need sight rairers otherwise the sight blocks the rearward movement of the bolt. (Albert T)
Last edited by Albert T on Sun Dec 18, 2016 5:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
Cumbrian

Post by Cumbrian »

Albert,

Thank you very much for that very clear and helpful explanation of what to do when shooting prone. I look forward to trying your advice when I am next at the range.

Roger
tsokasn

Post by tsokasn »

I like it!
Will try it too!