Intro and new guy air rifle questions

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963, David Levene, Spencer

mikbau

Intro and new guy air rifle questions

Post by mikbau »

Hello all

New member from the Seattle area. I've been doing a lot of reading and researching, and I have a few questions:

1) I've seen a few folks here from the Seattle area - can anyone recommend a good local club for 10m events? I've found some, but I'd like to hear some first hand experience and what folks have found in terms of available events

2) I currently have an RWS 34 - I am looking in to purchasing either a sporter or a precision - I know there are a ton of threads around this, but I have a couple of specific questions

- I haven't been able to find a lot of newer reviews on the AirForce Edge - but what I read that was older seemed to indicate they had accuracy problems, but I'm not sure why - has the quality improved in the last few years? Would it meet ISSF requirements?

- For the new proposed 2017 rule changes - are ALL wood stock rifles out of the running? I've thought about everything from an AirArms 200 to an FWB800 - I'd love to have an FWB800 and I certainly don't NEED one that's ISSF compliant, but I suppose I would be curious to shoot something that is

- Is it possible to convert an FWB800 wood stock to one of the aluminum models if desired? Again, not really a goal so much as a curiosity

thanks much in advance
Michael
l_flake

Re: Intro and new guy air rifle questions

Post by l_flake »

Welcome to the Pacific Northwest Michael. The only club I know of in Seattle is the West Seattle Totems (https://www.facebook.com/WestSeattleTotems) which has an 8 lane indoor range (air and small bore) in West Seattle. My daughters shoot there all the time for National, State and Junior Olympic level matches. They do have open nights for the public to use the facility. Mike Huck (Head Coach of the Junior Team) is a great source of information as well. Next closest range that holds air rifle matches is just South of Olympia in Little Rock.

Depending on the match, they are either open matches or junior shooters only.

Hope this helps,

Lance
TenMetrePeter

Post by TenMetrePeter »

It was reported on this forum that there may be a four year temporary stay of the 140mm rule for wood stocks but I havent seen it elsewhere yet.
Xman

Post by Xman »

TenMetrePeter wrote:It was reported on this forum that there may be a four year temporary stay of the 140mm rule for wood stocks but I havent seen it elsewhere yet.
If it ends up being a 4 year stay of the 140mm rule for wood stocks, they may as well not have it at all if the powers that be want to bring in mid level juniors and other shooters. There are LOTS and LOTS of high end class wood stocks out there that can shoot with the space guns at many competitions.

Let them shoot with wood as long as they want to. If the judges and range official see an infraction due to the stock position, then issue a warning.

Good coaching and learning by the student will teach the shooter to be correct in the position for the individual piece of equipment.

Those that have "cheated" in their positions have screwed it up for all the rest.

Use the rules judges, etc.