Fitting my FWB 300S

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963, David Levene, Spencer

mikeyj

Fitting my FWB 300S

Post by mikeyj »

Just received an FWB 300S from forum member Jim E, and I have a question for the group about fitting it to me. I have kind of a big head (I'm 6'2") which places my eyes above the sights if I keep my head vertical. The stock prevents me from moving my head over to get a sight picture unless I tilt my head down. There doesn't seem to be a way to put a riser under the front sight, which leaves me with two alternatives: Carve the cheek rest way back to fit my head, or maybe convert it to a DIY moveable cheek rest.

I know serious target shooters butcher the heck out of their stocks and grips, but this is a classic and to some, a collectable. Would I be committing any horrible crimes by modifying the stock? Or is there an alternative?
Tim S

Re: Fitting my FWB 300S

Post by Tim S »

Can you fit raiser blocks under the sights to bring these to eye level?
TenMetrePeter

Post by TenMetrePeter »

Tim S wrote:Can you fit raiser blocks under the sights to bring these to eye level?
Yes I agree that is the first route to take. At least 20mm risers probably more. The problem is they are not "Anschutz standard" size or design so may take some finding. The front sight with the taper pin is the challenge.

Tilting head forward is better that tilting sideways by the way.
mikeyj

Post by mikeyj »

You can't put a riser under the front sight, given how it attaches to the barrel.
TenMetrePeter

Post by TenMetrePeter »

mikeyj wrote:You can't put a riser under the front sight, given how it attaches to the barrel.
You would have to have one made. Probably the easiest is to have a new front sleeve made in place of the alloy FWB one with either a flat for a dovetail riser or have one machined on. You might even find a spare dovetail muzzle from say cz200 target or similar (shown). You would need to check barrel diameters.

If you are in the hacking game maybe better to hack off the tunnel and bolt on an adjustable dovetail riser than hacking out wood, but a high school machine shop should be able to make something easily.
Screen Shot 2016-12-03 at 16.00.18.jpg
Screen Shot 2016-12-03 at 16.11.25.jpg
mikeyj

Post by mikeyj »

I think it'll be a lot easier to modify the stock!
TenMetrePeter

Post by TenMetrePeter »

mikeyj wrote:I think it'll be a lot easier to modify the stock!
You must be a competent wood carver. For an engineer the foresight mod is much easier and potentially reversible. Raisers also allow you to use a lower left hand hold. You may need to use a finger and knuckle hold.
GaryN

Post by GaryN »

Shoot holding the rifle canted/tilted to the left.
This is how I shoot, in order to hold my head vertical.
Yes it is tricky to duplicate the cant angle for EACH shot, but after a while you get better at it. If you use the metal sight insert, it has a horizontal bar that will make it easier to see and verify the approximate cant angle.
mikeyj

Post by mikeyj »

TenMetrePeter wrote:
mikeyj wrote:I think it'll be a lot easier to modify the stock!
You must be a competent wood carver. For an engineer the foresight mod is much easier and potentially reversible. Raisers also allow you to use a lower left hand hold. You may need to use a finger and knuckle hold.
I've modified and fitted a number of stocks and grips. I used to compete in Airgun Field Target and did a lot of stock work then. I've also carved grips for my TOZ.

What I plan on doing is just moving the cheekpiece perhaps half an inch. Eventually I'll fit an adjustable cheekpiece, using hardware based on a friend's design.
Tim S

Post by Tim S »

If the sights are currently too low, lowering the cheekpiece will let you tip your head forwards, but won't make the sightline the right height. If you can't raise the sights, can you make the fore-end deeper? If this is not at maximum depth already, you may have room to add material, so the whole rifle sits higher.
TenMetrePeter

Post by TenMetrePeter »

If hes going to hack a classic then he may as well make the butt 2017 compliant by bandsawing off the bottom to the 140mm limit, then he can add to the fore end to the new 120mm depth.
It certainly will be worthless as a 300S and ugly as heck.
Packrat1947

Post by Packrat1947 »

You might want to contact Jim E. about trade for a Universal model. This way you can remove and replace the comb without destroying anything. Don't whittle on that one.

It might cost you a few bucks, .....but right now you are backed into a corner with no good way out.
Packrat1947
TenMetrePeter

Post by TenMetrePeter »

...apart from the new muzzle tube.
sandy22

Post by sandy22 »

The Universal has a muzzle tube with a dovetail, so you can fit alternative high or low foresights.
GaryN

Post by GaryN »

sandy22 wrote:The Universal has a muzzle tube with a dovetail, so you can fit alternative high or low foresights.
But the Universal's muzzle weight/sight base is not interchangeable with the other 300s. The location of the tapered pin to secure the base of the Universal's sight base is on the bottom of the barrel, not the top of the barrel.
TenMetrePeter

Post by TenMetrePeter »

That is why a plain muzzle tube is needed with a grub screw, either turned up in a workshop or modified from the likes of a cz200 stock item which would either need drilling out or bushed depending on the barrel diameters. 10th grade metalwork (if US schools still teach it)
If the universal muzzle is the same diameter drill a M4 hole and fit a grub screw.
c'mon you've been to the moon already!
Packrat1947

Post by Packrat1947 »

To the original poster. There is a FWB 300 stock on ebay for sale. 99.00 I think. You can experiment on that if you want.
If man could be crossed with the cat it would improve man, ....but it would deteriorate the cat." - Mark Twain Notebook, 1894