shot process

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963, David Levene, Spencer

manpreet.singh-maan

shot process

Post by manpreet.singh-maan »

Sometime I shot 100/100series and some time Ishot96 ,95 I want to know about shot process please so e body can tell me correctly about shot process.
Bryan996

Re: shot process

Post by Bryan996 »

Manpreet,

As no one has replied to your question I wanted to give you some pointers that might help you in the right direction.

Firstly I shoot at county level, not national level, and I’m not a coach so take this as just my input and others with probably more experienced than myself might have other idea’s. The first advice, obviously, would be that you would do best to find yourself a good coach. However I understand that that isn’t always easy.

If you are capable of shooting clean 100’s then you’re doing something right. The trick now is to work out why you might be making mistakes. It’s important to add that some of the factors that could cause you to drop a point could be out of your control, such as the quality of your ammo and the accuracy of the barrel. I’ve fallen foul to a crap barrel. Other issues are outside of your control, such as light levels and wind conditions, if you shoot outside. Remember the trick isn’t to shoot 100’s every time, it’s just to shoot better than everyone else!

Your question about shot process is a large one. The answer is that you really need to develop your own shot process in the lead up to, and past the trigger being pulled, that allows you to repeat it every time. Accuracy is all about repeatability. Think about what you’re currently doing and write it down. From how you set your mat out to how you check your NPA (Natural Point of Aim), to reloading. Everything. From there you can make changes and practise repeatability.

Now the four areas that I myself have concentrated on in training are NPA, Hold, Aim and follow through.
NPA – is your natural point of aim at the middle of the target, if it isn’t move and check again.
Hold – just how steady is your rifle on target. Does it need to be improved?
Aim – Just how accurately can you aim? Do you have eyesight issues that need to be addressed?
Follow through – this is very important. Can you call where the shot has gone afterwards. If your NPA was wrong this will tell you. Its also important as the round is in the barrel longer than you think, diving on the scope straight away could pull shots of target.

Question everything you do and change anything that you’re not happy with. And keep notes.

All the best and good luck young man.