How to pick 10m PCP air rifle?

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963, David Levene, Spencer

Mtl_Biker

How to pick 10m PCP air rifle?

Post by Mtl_Biker »

I just sold my Feinwerkbau 602... an amazingly accurate rifle with a size/balance that worked well for me. Now I'm looking for a good PCP replacement and I'm overwhelmed and confused by the choices. And whatever I buy, it'll have to be mail-order from a dealer somewhere which doesn't allow me to actually hold the rifle prior to purchase.

Take Feinwerkbau for instance... When I look at the Cibles Canada Targets website, there are nine variants of the 800 and one 700 ALU.

And on the Krale website, when I search for air rifles for 10 meters, I get EIGHT different Feinwerkbau choices... five variants of the 800 and two of the 700.

And that's only considering Feinwerkbau. I should be investigating Walther and particularly Steyr as well (because I love my EVO-10 pistol).

Where and how could I possibly figure out which model would be best for me?

My use of this rifle would be only for 10 meter competition shooting, and of course I'd like something that meets the new ISSF regulations.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thank you.
AA S510 Xtra FAC Ultimate Sporter *CARBINE* .22
CZ200S "Green" .177
Feinwerkbau 800 Evolution Top
AA S400 MPR FT .177
Steyr EVO 10
Weihrauch HW50S .22
Mtl_Biker

Re: How to pick 10m PCP air rifle?

Post by Mtl_Biker »

I'm disappointed not to get input from the experts here...

Any thoughts on either the Feinwerkbau 800 Evolution Top or the Steyr Challenge?

I could get the FWB here in Canada from a superb dealer (although not local) but I'd have to order the Steyr from Europe (not a deal breaker, but I'd prefer to support someone local as long as I can get the product I want and not take too large a hit on the cost).
CZ200S "Green" .177
AA S400 MPR FT .177
Steyr EVO 10
Weihrauch HW50S .22
TenMetrePeter

Post by TenMetrePeter »

you can eliminate all the wood stocks if you want ISSF 2017. It's not guaranted all the Alus will pass either without checking the 140mm dimension.

I would get one from a dealer if you can so you can try it out and take it back for service.

Unless you are at Olympic selection level they will all shoot better than you or me.
Mtl_Biker

Post by Mtl_Biker »

TenMetrePeter wrote:you can eliminate all the wood stocks if you want ISSF 2017. It's not guaranted all the Alus will pass either without checking the 140mm dimension.

I would get one from a dealer if you can so you can try it out and take it back for service.

Unless you are at Olympic selection level they will all shoot better than you or me.
Thanks Peter.

Unfortunately there are no dealers around here... Everything I buy would have to be mail-order. Either from a dealer in Canada (with an excellent reputation) or from Europe.

Is that what the new specs are called? "ISSF 2017"? Even though I'm Olympic level only in my dreams, :) I'd still like something that meets the specs. I met someone with one of the FWB 700's (not sure which specific 700 it was) and they were saying that they were going to have to saw the grip down to meet the spec. And to me, that's just not nice. I'd much rather have something that meets the specs directly from the manufacturer, without needing to be butchered afterwards. There's also something about the forestock and weights I believe.

Wouldn't the very latest models (FWB or Steyr or whatever) meet the new regulations?
CZ200S "Green" .177
AA S400 MPR FT .177
Steyr EVO 10
Weihrauch HW50S .22
TenMetrePeter

Post by TenMetrePeter »

it was my shorthand for the published 2017 rule changes.
Big discussion here http://www.targettalk.org/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=53308
and other posts.
The most likely bit needing sawing off would be part of the butt stock between pistol grip and butt plate . Pistol grip foregrip and butt plate dimensions are quite generous or more generous.

I dont know. Will the dealers and stockists destroy any non conforming stock?? It was only just decided at thr Moscow conference.
Xman

Post by Xman »

This is gonna get a little off topic but I tend to do that..sorry

ISSF rules changes on stocks ... in search for a problem that does not exist.
AKA
How to keep destroying your own sports future of the sake of being self important with financial incentives.

If the intent ( there is that nasty word again), is/was to keep shooters from resting the "stock" or hand grip on the chest in standing, then why in hell do they even need range officials to watch that the shooters position are following the rules.

Its part of their JOB to be observant.

To me anyway the sole purpose to the new rule is to eliminate 1000's and 1000's of perfectly fine wood stock rifles from qualifying... making them firewood. Thusly increasing the sales of newer overly priced spaceguns from the big 4 or is it 5?

This is the tail (manufacturers) wagging the dog (ISSF). Again and still and ongoing.

If this is how it is to be then the shooting community worldwide (shooters) needs to find a way make a change.

Given the market, especially for juniors, new shooters and parents finances, wood stocked actions in both air and SBR need new homes in "legal" barrelled action holding devices(BAHD).I would not call them stocks anymore as BAHD is the real intent (ah that word again) of their purpose.

Yes Anschutz SBR might be switchable in certain cases but even Anschutz is a business and the object is to make a profit now and to hell with the rest and the future. Its called cutting off their noses to spite their faces.

That being said, I guess someone somewhere needs to manufacture aftermarket BAHD to fit the current AND older AR and SBR wood stocked items. The increased availability of legal guns will increase the talent pool and thereby improve the sport and LONG term keep more people shooting past college, military and draw more new shooters, children, grand children ..a desired cycle.

AR and SBR, ammo cant get any more accurate. Lets face that fact. One hole groups are the norm from a vise rest. The shooter is now the only variable.

This vicious cycle of eating our young, pricing equipment so far out of range, changing rules yearly that severely impact the feeder systems ( especially in the US..HS, college and junior clubs) will no doubt nuke the sport. Maybe the Europeans, Asians and others see it differently.

It does not need to be or should be an equipment race driven by manufacturers seeking immediate profits abetted by a so called world governing body.