USAS Winter Air Gun Rule Update

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963, David Levene, Spencer

COBelties

USAS Winter Air Gun Rule Update

Post by COBelties »

Just in case you all haven't seen it yet, there was a rule update concerning the ISSF 2017:

ISSF Rule Update Notes: This match will be using the newly published ISSF Rules. These rule changes affect various elements of the match including the Finals Procedure.

1) USAS is still evaluating the impact of the new ISSF 140mm restriction on the buttstock of air rifles. This rule will be exempted from enforcement in the USAS Rulebook until further notice.

2) ISSF 10m Rifle "Weights" Update: USAS will follow the requirement for the weights to be within the fundamental shape of the stock, but will exempt "Tape cannot be used to attach weights" as there are still interpretations being discussed online.

3) All other ISSF Rule updates, including the new allowances on buttplate and forend depth, will be in effect for the 2016 Winter Airgun Championships.

This means that there will a 2017 Rule Final (24 shot) for all the athletes.

The more you know...happy training!
Justin Credible

Re: USAS Winter Air Gun Rule Update

Post by Justin Credible »

How can they use the 2017 rules when they haven't been published yet, and it's only 2016? The link they give is for the rules summary, not "newly published" rules. That doesn't seem like a very solid, or legitimate, way to enforce rules! From what I can find online, the latest PUBLISHED ISSF rules are 3/2016. I would be awfully upset if I got dinged for a new rule that wasn't even published yet, just summarized online. I think the Jury could be made very, very busy on this one.

Athlete: Please show me the rule.
Range Official/Jury: Here is a general summary of rules we printed from the news portion of the ISSF website.
Athlete: *blank, dumbfounded, and confused stare*

I can see some more lawsuits if somebody misses out on a selection because of a rule that hasn't been written yet.

Wait until the rules are published, and it's the correct year, before you use the rule. That's my 2 cents.

Justin Tracy
jhmartin

Post by jhmartin »

The rules that will be "enforced" at WAG benefit the shooter in almost all ways:

1) The new forearm depth rule goes from a limit of 90mm to 120mm allowing extra depth there for the athlete to get the gun up higher (essentially not enforcing this rule except for a 120mm depth)
2) The new buttplate depth rule (lower extension) goes from 220mm to unlimited allowing extra depth there for the athlete to get the gun up higher (essentially not enforcing the old rule)

3) 140mm rule (behind the grip) will not be enforced
4) Tape on weights rule (since it is still undefined if double sticky tape is "tape") not being enforced.

5) Don't know on the blinders yet ... I'll send a note to Dave & Pete.
6) Same with corrective lens on the rear sight. (enforced???)

So for the most part they are not "imposing" new rules, but "not enforcing" old rules, allowing shooters a greater leeway.
COBelties

Post by COBelties »

I posted what is exactly stated on USAS. So I would take it for face value until a future correction is provided? There are many questions, like are they playing music during qualifier and finals, single optic lens, etc. The match notes state they are using the new ISSF rules, not that USAS has adopted the new rules. Perhaps since this is a selection match for early 2017 matches they are trying to give as great of a chance to test run the rules to the competitors as possible?

Happy shooting - btw the new finals format adds some complexity from the shooters process. Pretty interesting.
redschietti

Post by redschietti »

In addition to joels thoughts, WAG is an important selection match for jan- march 2017. Its silly to inforce old rules on shooters gearing up for the next quad. Im at dixie double and some have already adapted their guns to new more generous specs
TexasShooter

Post by TexasShooter »

Which version of rules applies to side blinders?
TenMetrePeter

Post by TenMetrePeter »

TexasShooter wrote:Which version of rules applies to side blinders?
2017 - no side blinders allowed any more, only the 100x30 one mounted on the diopter is allowed.
Xman

Post by Xman »

TenMetrePeter wrote:
TexasShooter wrote:Which version of rules applies to side blinders?
2017 - no side blinders allowed any more, only the 100x30 one mounted on the diopter is allowed.
Hmm just thinking about the blinder rule.

what if my shooting glasses/eye protection device of choice have very wide temple pieces as part of the construction of the frame, not as an add on or attachment?

I read no restriction of how wide the eyeglass temple pieces can be in the rule, and glasses are permitted.

You may say it violates the "spirit" of the rule, whatever that mean in regards to forbidding the use of blinders on the shooter as the "spirit", as spirit(s) are ephemeral as are many other ISSF dictates.

The rule should just spell it out plainly.

No blinders or other objects (eyeglass frame parts and accessories, add-ons, hats, flaps, etc) that obscure the shooters face from being seen by officials, spectators, etc that exceed X mm are permitted.

ISSF rules committee needs to take a few advanced courses in Technical Writing.

Otherwise those that have, can and will pick them apart. Mostly to no avail, as the ISSF "spirit" thingy is whatever they want it to be as they go merrily along their way into obscurity in the international sports world.
TenMetrePeter

Post by TenMetrePeter »

Grow your hair long??
jhmartin

Post by jhmartin »

TenMetrePeter wrote:Grow your hair long??
Ha, Ha, Ha Ha ..... but good point.

For WAG -Just got a note from Dave.
-- Blinder rule will be enforced - (i.e. no side blinder allowed)
-- Rear sight corrective insert - will be allowed.
Look to have this clarified on the USAS webpage for the event soon.
Xman

Post by Xman »

TenMetrePeter wrote:Grow your hair long??
Hey! thats the ticket, long hair or hairpiece, with lots of extra stiff hair gel.... sculptured in such a way to create a way to restrict being able to see to the sides. Or be distracted by motions.

Now that is being fashion forward and will attract the younger set and maybe every get a TV crew or two to take interest.

Note I did NOT say to create a blinder. LOL

Take THAT! ISSF and stick in your pipe and smoke it!
dschaller

Post by dschaller »

So what does this mean for JOs? Are JOs going to be run under the 2017 rules, or are shooters forced to use 2017 rules for WAG, but then have to go back to 2016 rules for JOs? And does that apply to JO qualifiers and the JO match in April, or will the rules change between qualifiers and April?
PCU

Post by PCU »

Xman - Maybe ISSF rule on side blinder will be worded similar to National Standard Rule 4.7.9 "-- It is NOT permitted to use side blinders attached to the hat, cap, shooting glasses, or to a headband. No device or clothing item may protrude below a line from the center of the eye to the top of the ear."
jhmartin

Post by jhmartin »

dschaller wrote:So what does this mean for JOs? Are JOs going to be run under the 2017 rules, or are shooters forced to use 2017 rules for WAG, but then have to go back to 2016 rules for JOs? And does that apply to JO qualifiers and the JO match in April, or will the rules change between qualifiers and April?
Sent a message to Alex at USA Shooting ... they responded very quickly.
USA SHOOTING wrote:Hello All Junior Olympic Host Sites,

As many of you may know there have been changes to the most recent ISSF and USA Shooting Rules and Regulations. Some of these updates directly affect our junior competitors and we are closely monitoring any and all changes, including those that will be made at the end of November ISSF Meetings in Munich. These new updates to the rules can be found at the following link: http://www.issf-sports.org/news.ashx?newsid=2700

Recognizing the awkward timing of the new ISSF Rule publications, and the fact that many clubs and teams have adopted some of the new allowances, while others have not, USA Shooting will NOT enforce the new side blinder, taped weights, or the 140mm rear stock restriction at the JO Qualifiers. We will also be allowing the extended buttplate depth and the 120mm fore-end palm rest depth.

The ISSF Rifle Committee is meeting November 20-21. We expect clarifications on the new rules at that time and will update you accordingly in regards to our National Junior Olympics. I understand that these last minute changes can make things difficult for clubs and competitors alike but we are actively going to not enforce certain new rules so that our junior competitors can compete as close to they normally would in the past as possible. Our goal is to allow a smooth and safe competition for all of our juniors and omitting these select rules should help that process.

Thank You,
Alex Szablewski
Competitions/Events Coordinator
USA Shooting