8001 Velocity Too High

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963, David Levene, Spencer

Mike Carter

8001 Velocity Too High

Post by Mike Carter »

We were doing some velocity testing with a chronograph last night on all of our team air rifles.
One of our 8001 models was over 600 FPS. 5 shot spread was in the 620's range.
We need it under 600 to be legal. To my knowledge it came from the factory at this speed and we've not touched it.
2 seasons old.
Several other 8001 and 8002 were in the 550-570 range telling me the chronograph was accurate, or at best consistent.

Is there a field serviceable method for adjusting the pressure regulator?
The parts manual and service manual from Anschutz don't really call it out, indicating to me they would prefer the end user not attempt this.

Regards,
Mike Carter
jhmartin

Re: 8001 Velocity Too High

Post by jhmartin »

First of all, what type of pellet are you shooting?
You should be shooting a "rifle" pellet ... about ~8.3 gr ... not a pistol pellet (~7.5gr) nor a "green" non-lead pellet (5ish gr). The lighter the pellet the faster it's gonna move.

-otherwise-
I think this is a regulator adjustment (but I'm guessing from the previous work I've had done).

I'd call a reputable Anschutz gunsmith and talk to them ... Pilk (our host), etc.

I'm in the west (New Mexico) so I use Joe Hein at Elite Shooting Sports of Montana.
http://eliteshootingsport.com/

I think the regulator has to be removed & adjusted, so that is the type of thing I just don't feel comfortable myself doing ...
TenMetrePeter

Post by TenMetrePeter »

In the PCP weapons I have owned the power was adjusted with the hammer spring screw at the back of the receiver, not the regulator itself, (though some have a venturi screw.)
However check the pellet grain weight first as advised above.
Mike Carter

Post by Mike Carter »

Thanks for the input.
As we are close to Champions Choice all of my athletes shoot the same brand of pellet, which is the CC house brand 53 grain weight.
Scott's shop is about an hour away so that is of course a good option.
I was hoping there might be a simple method for decreasing the velocity that a proficient engineer and mechanic with all the right tools might be able to self perform.

While I don't profess to be gunsmith or machinist, I am very proficient with highly complex machinery assemblies. I just don't want to attempt it without some prior research.

Regards,
Mike
jhmartin

Post by jhmartin »

53 is the "green" non-lead pellet, correct?

Yeah, it's gonna be zippy and exceed the legal velocity.

They (rule/sanctioning organizations) really need to use a "power-factor" like number ... pellet wght x velocity.

Since you are firing rifles ... that are normally approved if firing the correct weight (rifle) pellets, you should probably address a letter to CMP (as this effects you foremost) about your situation.
Mike Carter

Post by Mike Carter »

Hello JHmartin,
HN makes a "green" non-lead pellet that appears to spec out at .525g. All of the kids are shooting the same brand of pellet, the CC made by HN (cheap). The only thing green about it is the label on the lid. And all of the "rifle" pellets sold by CC are .53g regardless of the mfg. Pistols are .49g. The rifle in question was only one to exceed the 600 FPS range. So with all things being equal, shooting a mix of 8001 and 8002 all in the same shooting session, one of them is too fast. I'm pretty sure it isn't a pistol pellet causing this velocity increase but I will no for sure on Monday when I can inspect her tin.

Still hoping to for some instructions on pressure reduction.

Regards,
Mike
jhmartin

Post by jhmartin »

Mike Carter wrote:Still hoping to for some instructions on pressure reduction.
Best to call Pilk or Joe and talk to a gunsmith
jhmartin

Post by jhmartin »

We're talking apples & oranges I guess.
I've been talking grains, you grams.

Yes ... an 8.3grain pellet is about .53 grams.

So your .53 gram Champ Choice pellets are indeed rifle pellets.
Sorry about my mixup.

Yeah ... give a Gunsmith a call ... a simple non-regulated airgun has that FP spring adjustment ... I'm sure there is a similar adjustment on the 8001/2 type regulator, but again, I think you have to pull the regulator out to do that adjustment
TenMetrePeter

Post by TenMetrePeter »

most airguns have a regulator and a hammer spring adjustment. They are not mutually exclusive but the spring adjustment may have been tamper proofed. My P34 pistol and my LG200 both had a reg between cylinder and receiver and a screw to adjust the valve hammer behind the trigger unit.. (They were both Freimarked too). If you google it some folk say its a simple screw on the 8001.
redschietti

Post by redschietti »

Im pretty sure they adjust w a screw like all the other brands. Ive never done one tho. I have done fwb, walther and Pardini. From the diagram i think its screw 97. I rotate just 1/12 and retest. May be setscrew from the side. Clockwise is higher.
sportex

Post by sportex »

Hello Mike Carter
I have 8001 and I already made adjustment of velocity. For decrease of velocity is necessary to rotate screw No. 37 counterclockwise. The diagram is attached.
Attachments
ET_LG-8001-Pressluft-JUNIOR_2013-10.pdf
(761.32 KiB) Downloaded 95 times
redschietti

Post by redschietti »

Sorry, i was looking at 8002 diagram. Its screw 97 on the 8002, not 8001
Mike Carter

Post by Mike Carter »

Thank you SportTex for the diagram and the advice. And thanks to Red also because we use, and I own the 8002.
I will let everyone know how this turns out as soon as I make the adjustment.

Regards,
Mike