Daisy XS40 - CZ 200 Service Life

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963, David Levene, Spencer

taso1000

Daisy XS40 - CZ 200 Service Life

Post by taso1000 »

Hello All,

Can anyone tell me the service life interval of these rifles? Is there a recommended shot count to pull the rifle out of service? Or is it more when the rifle starts being troublesome or accuracy decreases?

I know the air cylinders don't need to be hydro tested but are they safe forever?

How often do the rifles need to be serviced and how much does a service cost? Can a diy'er buy a service kit and do it themselves?

Thank you all in advance!

Taso
Andre

Re: Daisy XS40 - CZ 200 Service Life

Post by Andre »

Co2 cylinders only last 10 years before you can no longer shoot national matches with them, I have seen those zinc/aluminum/ZAMAK bolt handles snap, and the GAMO style sights wear out.

Make sure cylinder is to date, carry a spare rear sight and bolt handle and you should be good to go, maybe reseal it every 5 years or so.
taso1000

Post by taso1000 »

Andre,

Thank you for your help! If I ever compete I wouldn't mind replacing the air cylinder. So is the cylinder safe to shoot at home?

Are there reseal kits and are they difficult to take apart and replace the orings? I am pretty handy and know my way around BAM B50/51's and FD PCP rifles.

Are there any items that wear out? I could see where maybe trigger sear surfaces may wear.

Thank you for your help! I really appreciate it.

Taso
Andre

Post by Andre »

taso1000 wrote:Andre,

Thank you for your help! If I ever compete I wouldn't mind replacing the air cylinder. So is the cylinder safe to shoot at home?

Are there reseal kits and are they difficult to take apart and replace the orings? I am pretty handy and know my way around BAM B50/51's and FD PCP rifles.

Are there any items that wear out? I could see where maybe trigger sear surfaces may wear.

Thank you for your help! I really appreciate it.

Taso

Sorry.....I really don't know of any other issues with the XS40 rifle, I never shot one. Only ever shot 853's for a year and a Challenger for the rest of my Sporter air rifle shooting time. I stopped shooting 3p Sporter earlier this year.

Triggers eventually wear, but I'm sure they can be fixed by stoning and re-sharpening the sear contract ledges. I have stoned Challenger triggers, it does make a difference.

I don't like filling old cylinders, if one ruptured it would lead to serious injury. If in great shape, 10 years is probably fine. If it's been dropped and cross-threaded many times, chuck it even before the 10 year mark. And if cross-threaded, have the action looked at too. But that's really unusual in my experience.
jhmartin

Post by jhmartin »

Those are air cylinders .... they should be laser marked with a manufacture date.
Figure a 10 year (safety) life.

You can order new cylinders.
I have XSV-40s with our club that have been in service about 15 years now ... we have changed the cylinders out.
TenMetrePeter

Post by TenMetrePeter »

Andre wrote:Co2 cylinders only last 10 years......
As far as I was aware they are compressed air. Air Arms recommend gunsmith visual check every 2-3 years. mine is marked with year and month of manufacture.

The sights which are Chinese copies of the old Gamo Sport are quite loosely made but are adequate for this level of shooting. In my country they can be replaced for less than £35 if you buy them as Air Arms S200T sights (though they are £185 if you buy them as Daisy Avanti sights!) Remember you are buying a gun for the price of a set of top flight Olympic gunsights so don't expect much.
Last edited by TenMetrePeter on Sun Oct 23, 2016 1:34 pm, edited 2 times in total.
taso1000

Post by taso1000 »

Thank you All for your help. Pilkguns responded to my question and said there isn't a recommended service life.

Taso
Rover

Post by Rover »

Cylinder safety has been commented on many times here.

How many cylinder blow-ups have YOU actually heard of?

But on the other hand, "Do you feel lucky, punk?"
Andre

Post by Andre »

Rover wrote:Cylinder safety has been commented on many times here.

How many cylinder blow-ups have YOU actually heard of?

But on the other hand, "Do you feel lucky, punk?"
Not sure about anybody else, but filling very thin walled aluminum cylinders that have been dropped to much the gauge crystal is broken, and with the threads worn gives me the heebeejeebees!

(although I'm not sure if the XS40 cylinders are steel are aluminum, just making an example)
TenMetrePeter

Post by TenMetrePeter »

pretty sure they are steel.
Ever seen this?
http://bullshooter.blogspot.co.uk/2006/ ... r-air.html