Monard Suit Q's

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963, David Levene, Spencer

Andre

Monard Suit Q's

Post by Andre »

I'm looking to buy a new Monard suit, but there are a few different "levels" of them available. Does anybody have any recommendations on which one we should look into?
Tim S

Re: Monard Suit Q's

Post by Tim S »

Andre,

It really depends on your budget, but how long you plan go use the suit is also relevant. The Starter range is what the name suggests it is, so unless your budget is restricted or this is only a stop-gap you are probably looking for something that offers a better fit and greater durability. That leads you to the Standard, which (or was when I lastchandled one) a sturdy and well made product. The next step is the Super, which has more panels than the Standard for a closer fit, and more leather sections. When I was looking to buy a Monard about ten years ago, the Super was said to be made of a softer, but stronger, canvas. The Olympic is a leather-shell version of the Super. I think there'sanother version with synthitic panels, the Extended, but don't quote me.
ShootWithStyle

Post by ShootWithStyle »

I made the switch from Kustermann to Monard earlier this year and I've been very pleased with it. I wear the Monard Super suit which is all canvas and leather.

Is the suit for three position or just air rifle? Each suit can be customized to a degree. I like the Super which offers the ability to reposition the shoulder straps and the sling keeper. My Kustermann Subratex suit (their top of the line suit) didn't offerr this range of adjustment.

The canvas obviously needs some break in. I barely passed equipment control for stiffness when I was in Germany in May, but it passes with no issues now.

I do like the range of colours available and the fastening system for the trousers.

Abhinav Bindra wore a Monard Super Extended suit while he shot, but it's not available in as many colours. It uses Monards synthetic material, but i have been told it gets very hot when worn. Torben Grimmel wears a Monard jacket, but I'm not sure what model he uses. For air rifle only shooters, the Air Rifle suit is an option. Michaela Aarvidsson of Sweden wears an air rifle only suit.

My recommendation would be the Super suit if it is within your budget. But the Standard is still very good and recommended for newer shooters who may outgrow it quickly.

Andre

Post by Andre »

Sorry I couldn't give more info earlier, I was in a rush to work.

It will be used for both 3p and air rifle, and has to last 2-3 years before I shoot for a college rifle team.
ShootWithStyle

Post by ShootWithStyle »

I would recommend the Standard then. It will get the job done until you get to University. Then depending on where you end up you'll most likely end up with a new Hitex suit. :)
mbradley

Post by mbradley »

Are you shooting in a cargo container? That is what it looks like.
mtncwru

Post by mtncwru »

No, just a walled-in section of the range designed for air rifle. It's not perfect, as it does still allow a little wind to come through, but there's enough light that way. Long term the plan is to get a cargo container (or similar) in there for the air section.
Andre

Post by Andre »

Thanks for the info everyone, looks like I can get the Monard in any funky color choice I want. Grey and blue maybe? Gotta look good for those extra style points.
Tim S

Post by Tim S »

Andre,

Monard used to have a "jacket generator" on their website to help chose colours.

I'd agree that for 2-3"years a Standard would fit the bill, especially if you expect to grow at all before college.
ShootWithStyle

Post by ShootWithStyle »

Yes, you can put together your suit with the colours you wish to use and view it.

That's how I put mine together and the finished product was better than i expected.

mtncwru

Post by mtncwru »

I would recommend a mostly white/other very-light color back. If for some reason you're shooting out in the sun, you're gonna want that...
Andre

Post by Andre »

I'm thinking mostly grey with some blue. Good point.
gwsb

Post by gwsb »

If you are a male with 3 years to go before college you are still growing and will not be able to use the same suit.

I suggest the starter set and save money. Also Champion Shooters Supply offers suits that they will trade in as you grow. Its a great option for juniors and a serviceable suit.