FWB 601 Junior or Mini

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963, David Levene, Spencer

taso1000

FWB 601 Junior or Mini

Post by taso1000 »

Hi All,

I have an FWB 601. I would like to lighten the rifle if possible but I don't want to make any irreversible changes. My first thought was to see if there was a junior or mini option for the FWB 601. So far I have only found that there was a 603 Junior and a C60 Junior.

I am inexperienced with the FWB 600 line and I can only get my information from searching the internet. I have found, I think, that the 600 and 601 stocks are the same. Also I read that there were changes in the 602 stock and then more changes in the 603 stock. I think the C60 has more in common with the 603 stock than the 600/601 stocks.

From what I have read it seems that junior rifles reduce weight by removing shrouds and more compact or lighter material stocks.

I had initially thought just to buy another junior ssp rifle, which I will most likely do regardless as I have my sights on a Anschutz 2002 mini, but I would also like the option to lighten the 601 since I don't think I will ever sell it.

Thank you All in advance!

Taso
GaryN

Re: FWB 601 Junior or Mini

Post by GaryN »

I have a P70-jr. Here are my observations on the junior rifle features.

- The barrel shroud is shorter.
- There is no muzzle/barrel weight, the front sight clamps onto the barrel shroud. I put an Anschutz barrel weight just behind the front sight, because I wanted more muzzle stability.
> The combination of the shorter barrel + lack of a muzzle weight reduces the forward balance/weight of the rifle.

- The minimum Length of Pull, at 11/3/4 inch, is a bit shorter than a full size stock. But compared to an Anschutz 2002CA, is only about 3/4 inch shorter. I did not have a full size P70 to compare to. Since I use it at minumum LoP, I cannot say what the longest LoP is.

- The stock is ambidextrous. Or what some might call NEITHER left nor right handed. The ambi grip is not as comfortable to my right hand as a true RH stock. This is my biggest issue with the rifle.

Looking for older junior rifles is HARD. You have to catch them when they pop up, and they don't pop up very often. If you want the older 60x rifle, one option is to call the various FWB dealers and ask them if the have a 602 or 601 junior, that they have not sold. They would probably love to sell you the old rifle.
If you want a junior SSP rifle without waiting, I would get the 603 junior.
taso1000

Re: FWB 601 Junior or Mini

Post by taso1000 »

Gary,

Thank you for your help. I don't want to spend too much. I'm thinking around $700 or less. But it seems the junior rifles fetch more money than the full size rifles. Maybe because there were fewer made?

That I was trying to find out if there was a 600 or 601 junior rifle for parts interchange with my full size 601.

Thank you,

Taso