Are Palma sights suitable for smallbore competition?

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963, David Levene, Spencer

vHoff

Are Palma sights suitable for smallbore competition?

Post by vHoff »

Hello,

I'm thinking of starting shooting Palma and putting together a build. However, I was wondering whether or not during the winter months when I can't shoot outside, I can put my sight set on a smallbore rifle for prone indoor competition.

For those of you who have experience in both disciplines, is there something prohibiting such a design? Are Palma sights over (or under) engineered for the necessary precision of smallbore indoor competition?

Many thanks.
Tim S

Re: Are Palma sights suitable for smallbore competition?

Post by Tim S »

It has been done before. I think a few members of the AMU use Warner rearsights, and the Centra 10-50 is a full-bore design. However depending on what matches you're shooting the 1/4 minute clicks common to TR/ Palma mayvhe a bit coarse; you may be fine on US-NRA targets, but 10-ring on the ISSF 50m is much smaller.
vHoff

Post by vHoff »

Damn. That was what I was worried about.
groverdog1

Post by groverdog1 »

I have used a 1/4 click warner rear sight on both the NRA and ISSF targets with no issues. My sight radius is likely 40+ inches with the bloop tube so the 1/4 click MOA is probably closer to 1/5 MOA..

Mark D
vHoff

Post by vHoff »

What front sight are you using? And I assume it is with a bloop tube?
Erud

Post by Erud »

Not uncommon at all. Warner even makes 1/8MOA plates for their rear sights if you find 1/4 to be too coarse for you. I believe they are $25 each, or $50 for the set. I have a 1/8MOA Phoenix rear sight on my smallbore rifle, and honestly I would prefer 1/4 adjustments as that is what all of my other rifles have. 1/4 MOA is how my brain naturally works now, so I have to be careful not to make 1/8 moa corrections when I mean to make 1/4. I'm pretty stupid that way. I have a 30mm Stallings RightSight on the front on a 12" tube, so sight radius is the same as on my Palma and Any rifles.
patriot

Post by patriot »

I shoot Warners on all match rifles; they are incredible. For 50 and 100 smallbore I prefer the 1/8's on Warner #1's. For smallbore long range (200 yards), high power, and Palma 1/4's on Warner #2's. Availability can be an issue. Used ones sell in minutes.

The old Redfield Palma's and Internationals are good enough for indoor on the A17 target if they are still tight.

Mark