Cure for Freezing on the Trigger

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963, David Levene, Spencer

TenMetrePeter

Re: Cure for Freezing on the Trigger

Post by TenMetrePeter »

rmca wrote: I also don't understand why set triggers are forbidden on rifles with no minimum trigger weight...

Hope this helps
Precisely. illogical mish mash.
Tim S

Post by Tim S »

rmca wrote:I also don't understand why set triggers are forbidden on rifles with no minimum trigger weight...

Hope this helps
I think 50m Standard rifle originally required a 500g trigger. Both Standard rifle matches were derived from the old UIT Army Rifle match, where competitors shot their/their hosts national service rifle, in contrast to Free Rifle matches were rifle size/design was largely unregulated beyond a maximum weight. 300m Standard Rifle allowed civilian made rifles but prohibited many Free Rifle accessories, like set triggers and spirit levels that conflicted with the obe-size-fits all Service rifle ethos*. 50m Standard rifle was introduced as a cheaper way to participate than Free Rifle, so adopted the no-frills approach of the existing 300m Standard rules.

50m Standard eventually allowed any trigger weight, but 300m rifles must still lift 1500g.

At the same time the NRA- GB had only just allowed heavy target barrels for it's slow-fire bullseye Service B matches. Rifles were otherwise Lee Enfields and P14s as issued bar an aperture rearsight, and strictly limited mechanicalvtruing and barrel bedding.
TenMetrePeter

Post by TenMetrePeter »

rmca may have been referring to 10m air rifle which has no trigger weight so why apply the no set trigger rule? A set trigger is defined as one where weight is reduced mechanically.

Give me a couple of weeks with Word and I could rewrite the rules better than this huge committee seems to have managed.
David Levene

Post by David Levene »

TenMetrePeter wrote: Give me a couple of weeks with Word and I could rewrite the rules better than this huge committee seems to have managed.
Nobody is saying that the way the rules are written is perfect, but that is different from saying you don't agree with the rules (which is what you seem to be saying).

The way the rifle rules are written it is clear that set triggers are only banned for Air Rifle and 300m Standard Rifle. Where is the problem?

I'm still trying to work out how we got on to set triggers when the question was about release triggers. Good old "thread drift".
Rover

Post by Rover »

As a former trap and skeet shooter ('til I found out that AP is way cheaper), I can tell you that almost no one used a release trigger. Yes, they were out there, but very few gave them any consideration.
Tim S

Post by Tim S »

[quote="TenMetrePeter"]rmca may have been referring to 10m air rifle which has no trigger weight so why apply the no set trigger rule? [/quot

Off Topic Warning

Peter, he may well have been, however 10m air rifle specs are strongly influenced by the old Standard rifle. Compare an older 10m rifle, like a Feinwerkbau 600, with a contemporary smallbore like a FWB 2600 Universal, and you'll see these are nearly identical.

The matter is largely moot as set triggers offer no advantage over modern conventional AR and smallbore triggers, andnone of the major manufacturers offer one.
rmca

Post by rmca »

Tim S wrote: Off Topic Warning

Peter, he may well have been, however 10m air rifle specs are strongly influenced by the old Standard rifle. Compare an older 10m rifle, like a Feinwerkbau 600, with a contemporary smallbore like a FWB 2600 Universal, and you'll see these are nearly identical.

The matter is largely moot as set triggers offer no advantage over modern conventional AR and smallbore triggers, andnone of the major manufacturers offer one.
Sorry for the Off Topic

Yes, I was referring 10m air rifle.

300m rifles have the 1500g minimum, and therefor I understand the logic of "no set triggers".
10m air rifle, to my knowledge, never had a minimum trigger weight. So why no set triggers?

Yes, I know that this is a non issue, just another strange quirk in the rule book...
TenMetrePeter

Post by TenMetrePeter »

David Levene wrote:
TenMetrePeter wrote: Give me a couple of weeks with Word and I could rewrite the rules better than this huge committee seems to have managed.
Nobody is saying that the way the rules are written is perfect, but that is different from saying you don't agree with the rules (which is what you seem to be saying).

I agree with the ISSF rules. I abide with rules relevant to my level of competition. They are however far from clearly written. I think we are in agreement.
David Levene

Post by David Levene »

TenMetrePeter wrote:I agree with the ISSF rules. I abide with rules relevant to my level of competition. They are however far from clearly written.
Some are, some aren't.

The ones for set triggers on rifles are.
SlartyBartFast

Post by SlartyBartFast »

TenMetrePeter wrote:Give me a couple of weeks with Word and I could rewrite the rules better than this huge committee seems to have managed.
Writing them first time is easy.

Getting them passed by a committee is the difficult/impossible part.

And watching competitors find all the loopholes, and run into contradictions or unforeseen circumstances is the continuously painful process.

Then, the tedious process of rewriting and maintaining revisions.

and continue looping through getting them passed by committee.
- Smith & Wesson SW22 Victory
- FAS SP607
bugman1955

Post by bugman1955 »

As per your problem, try dry firing. Always successful.