Gehmann jacket sizing

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963, David Levene, Spencer

oldrifleman

Gehmann jacket sizing

Post by oldrifleman »

My daughter needs a decent jacket and likely a sweater ( padded elbows). I am wondering if anyone knows if makers size their jackets assuming you will be wearing a sweater, or if I need to add a size to accommodate it? She has been using an older jacket that is too small and her elbows are really sore from shooting prone. Her coach said she should wear a sweater ( I may even put a bit of foam inside the jacket sleeve). Looking at the ones champions choice either the Anschutz or the deluxe CC one, but am open to suggestions. Not looking to go custom fit as she is only 13.
TenMetrePeter

Re: Gehmann jacket sizing

Post by TenMetrePeter »

I wouldn't want to wear a sweater under a shooting jacket indoors or in hot weather. There may be a transatlantic language problem but I call a sweater a knitted woollen garment. AFAIK they are sized to take one official ISSF thin under shirt. I have seen people using donut cushions for the elbow. It depends how high up the competition she goes before they start measuring clothing thickness and checking equipment.
Tim S

Post by Tim S »

Old rifleman,

Measure her with the sweater, and then pick the size that's closest. If she is close between two sizes, ask your chosen vendor if they will ship both and let you return the one fits less well.

Peter, actually many rifle shooters do wear a knitted poly-cotton sweater with padded elbows underneath the jacket, even in the summer. Sauer, Mouche, Kurt Thune, and Anschutz all sell them. It's also quite common to wear the same sweater all year round, indoors and out, so the fit of the jacket doesn't change. Yes, you get hot, but for many it's the price you pay for the position feeling right. A good wicking shirt as a baselayer will reduce sweatiness mind

I haven't seen donut rings on a mat for some time. I didn't think anyone still made these.
TenMetrePeter

Post by TenMetrePeter »

Polycotton thin sweatshirt I can understand. Polyester sports layer even better.
Sweater with elbow pads reminds me of those army surplus olive green woolly jobs which would exceed the 2.5mm ISSF max for underwear.
Looking at the US sites I see the regulation shirts are known as Sweaters so I'll belt up.
Tim S

Post by Tim S »

Peter,

This is what I mean: http://ahg.anschuetz-sport.com/index.ph ... oduktID=56

These can pass ISSF EQ, I think all three smallbore Gold medalists in Rio wore knitted sweaters/cardigans.
mbradley

Post by mbradley »

The purpose of the sweater is to add a layer of clothing that has a lot of friction so that the jacket does not twist, move and ride while shooting the sling positions. It has nothing to do with the weather.
Tim S

Post by Tim S »

Sweaters, whether knitted cardigans, technical fabric shirts, or plain sweatshirts, also provide cushioning to absorb the pulse beat in the sling positions.
Modena

Post by Modena »

in regards to your sizing question, I don't understand your question. The size decision is made off the chart based on measurements. I think what you mean is should the measurements be taken while wearing the sweater? The answer is all manufacturers that I have seen have their measurement charts assuming that measurements were taken while wearing all underclothing that one will wear under the jacket (it makes sense after all).

I have researched this a bit, as I am about to buy a new jacket. first I bought an undershirt and was comfortable with how my chosen size fit (just a simple S/M/L type arrangement). Now I am awaiting my "sweater" to arrive (the "knit" with some elbow padding) and once that is here I can put both garments on and take measurements to choose a jacket size.