New ISSF Rules - Partial Summary

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963, David Levene, Spencer

David Levene

Re: New ISSF Rules - Partial Summary

Post by David Levene »

jhmartin wrote:When a shooter turns around to look at the coach/whoever, we can ignore it, and keep our focus in the correct direction.
Bliss
jhmartin

Post by jhmartin »

redschietti wrote:If the fans are encouraged to yell what difference it make if coach yells?
Great point.
David Levene

Post by David Levene »

jhmartin wrote:
redschietti wrote:If the fans are encouraged to yell what difference it make if coach yells?
Great point.
In the "heat of battle" which shooter was a yelled "2 clicks left" intended for. A message on a board, or on a tablet, is obvious.
redschietti

Post by redschietti »

Ive competed in front of 10,000 fans. Only hear two people, coach an my mom
Xman

Post by Xman »

It was posted earlier about coaches.

A sights coach...HUH?
A position coach..1 for each position?
A tactics coach.......OK you cross fire on the third position down from you. That will rattle the other shooter for sure! Great tactic!
A windage coach. Be sure to consult the sights coach and the tactic coach first before informing the shooter there is a 2kph left to right windstorm and that any change in clicks is an approved tactic!

OWWW my head hurts.
TexasShooter

Post by TexasShooter »

USAS changed the match bulletin for Winter Airgun today. The new rules will apply. Wow. A month out from a selection match and the rules get significantly changed? Seriously?
jhmartin

Post by jhmartin »

This is obviously a massive cock up. Someone just got lazy.
The Rules paragraph is in total contradiction to itself.
(Old USAS Rules apply as well as the new ISSF Rules????????)

I've sent a WTF message to Pete, Alex & Dave suggesting that someone get off their butts and update the program correctly, rather than half-assing it.
PCU

Post by PCU »

Wonder when new rules, with specifics & details, will be available? USAS's cited link is only for summary of new rules.
David Levene

Post by David Levene »

PCU wrote:Wonder when new rules, with specifics & details, will be available? USAS's cited link is only for summary of new rules.
With the various committees meeting 20-25 November I wouldn't expect the electronic version until end November or early December.
jhmartin

Post by jhmartin »

Dave has emailed me to the effect:
A(nother) draft update is in progress.
1- (It appears) the 140mm rule will NOT be enforced at WAG.
2- All Exceptions from the old rulebook will continue to be excepted
3- (Looks like) the 120mm fore-end rest depth will be allowed.
TenMetrePeter

Post by TenMetrePeter »

jhmartin wrote:Dave has emailed me to the effect:
A(nother) draft update is in progress.
1- (It appears) the 140mm rule will NOT be enforced at WAG.
2- All Exceptions from the old rulebook will continue to be excepted
3- (Looks like) the 120mm fore-end rest depth will be allowed.
It would be fairer with an either-or rule I.e. Stocks should comply with either 2013 or 2017 rules. Adding 30mm to the fore-end with a butt stock that doesnt comply seems a bit cheeky.

I assume all international level and Olympic selection comps will need to comply fully with 2017.
jhmartin

Post by jhmartin »

TenMetrePeter wrote:I assume all international level and Olympic selection comps will need to comply fully with 2017.
No ... and this is where it gets really irritating. WAG IS a selection match
Our selections go by USA Shooting rules ... exceptions and all. HOWEVER, if an athlete makes the cut and is selected, THEN they are expected to comply at the International comps.
So what I expect could (will??) happen is that an athlete with a non-compliant rifle could earn a selection to an International match in 3-4 weeks off and have to come up with and learn to fire a "new" rifle in that time.

All because ISSF has been unwilling to enforce a rule that clearly states no touching forward of the centerline.
PCU

Post by PCU »

Ref enforcing rifle touching rule: Much easier to enforce in USA Shooting than in ISSF because USAS is more lenient. It's the USA Shooting rules that "clearly states no touching forward of the centerline." This is relatively easy to check & enforce.
Current ISSF rules state rifle must not touch jacket or chest beyond the area of the right shoulder. This is difficult to enforce without officials hanging over the athletes to look - especially difficult to check with tall athletes.
jhmartin

Post by jhmartin »

PCU wrote:Current ISSF rules state rifle must not touch jacket or chest beyond the area of the right shoulder. This is difficult to enforce without officials hanging over the athletes to look - especially difficult to check with tall athletes.
If it's close, officials should be "hanging over the athletes to look". If the rule is that important, and the officials are hanging all over/under and irritating the athlete, maybe that athlete will change their position to make it obvious that all is OK and keep the officials at bay.
A few matches like that and some yellow cards (and greens & reds) might just solve the problem.
Marc Orvin

Post by Marc Orvin »

jhmartin wrote:
PCU wrote:Current ISSF rules state rifle must not touch jacket or chest beyond the area of the right shoulder. This is difficult to enforce without officials hanging over the athletes to look - especially difficult to check with tall athletes.
If it's close, officials should be "hanging over the athletes to look". If the rule is that important, and the officials are hanging all over/under and irritating the athlete, maybe that athlete will change their position to make it obvious that all is OK and keep the officials at bay.
A few matches like that and some yellow cards (and greens & reds) might just solve the problem.

Very true. I hate bothering the shooters, but if I can't see daylight from well behind them, I'm going to have to get up close enough to determine if they are complying with the rules. If it irritates them, so be it. What is most irritating is seeing kids with excellent performance coaches who do not comply with the rules. In other words, the kid can shoot the lights out, but has never been coached on the rules. I hate bothering these types, because it is going to change their position or stance in an important match because they have not been taught the rules. This applies to resting the rear sight on the eyebrow, having the sleeve of their jacket touching the forend in prone and kneeling, rifle touching the jacket beyond the shoulder, hands touching each other in standing and many other little things that coaches tend to overlook.
Abi

Post by Abi »

I feel like I'm kicking the dead horse here but...

I scanned through the 6 pages on this thread so far, but here's one more question...

7.4.2.1 No part of the butt plate (outer edges) may extend more than 30 mm from the butt stock center-line.

Does this include the knurled knob on the side of the buttplate carrier as seen here on this particular Anschutz Precise buttplate? (the circle above the word PRECISE) http://www.edinkillie.co.uk/ecatalog/im ... g/5010.jpg

In order to actually have this buttplate in line with the barrel, the carrier hangs out to the side. I have a hard enough time already at equipment control trying to figure out how to measure this thing...

http://i2.kym-cdn.com/entries/icons/or ... cepalm.jpg
Martin H

Post by Martin H »

Hi Abi
I don't believe the 30mm includes the knob. The diagram and photo shows only the actual butt plate, the most rearward parts of the butt plate, not anything else.

I think the rule, photo and diagram are clear, the 30mm is measured from the centreline of the butt stock to the outside edge of the butt plate.
Cheers
Martin
Modena

Post by Modena »

The knob is not part of the butt plate, its part of the butt plate adjustment mechanism. The intent of the rule is clearly to prevent an overly wide or overly offset contact area between the butt plate and shoulder. That's my take on it, anyway.
Abi

Post by Abi »

Great, thanks for saving my sanity. I really do have a hard enough time already with that thing in equipment control, I don't need one more guessing game.
Frank in Fairfield

Post by Frank in Fairfield »

This one too!