New to rifle

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963, David Levene, Spencer

jerber

New to rifle

Post by jerber »

Hello all
I am a pistol shooter (air and 22lr)and I decided to try shooting rifle
I'm getting a used FWB 600 AR
I don't think I I'll ever compete but maybe I'll like it just like shooting pistol
If I do like it I'm planning on getting a small bore rifle
Will see how that goes!
Meanwhile I like to know what i need to get started
I know there's a lot of accessories/clothing that shooters use but I don't think I need to get all that for now
I do need to put an order with Champions Choice for some ammo/targets/pellet for my pistols and was going to add whatever I would need for the AR
For targets should I get the multi bulls targets?
Or should I get single bull?
Pellets,is there much difference between rifle and pistol?
What would you recommend?
I was thinking of getting a glove for my left hand(support)
That shouldn't be too much $ ?
Anything you can add/suggest would be great
Again I'm not new in shooting but new in rifle
Thank you
gwsb

Re: New to rifle

Post by gwsb »

WOW! this post screams for a smart ass answer and I will be happy to give it to you.

Two options:

1. Pour about 4 fingers of single malt Scotch over ice and sip it until the urge goes away.

2. If that doesn't work you will need a middling pile of cash. In addition to the rifle, a glove, coat, and pants are the minimum. I assume you have a spotting scope. You will want multi bull targets and about any pellets will work to start. Champions Choice is great and can get you started. However, for the coat and pants I suggest Champion Shooters. They, like CC have their own brand of starter clothes but if you buy from them (and they are well stocked with used coats and pants) they will trade you for the next set if you need to trade up. That might not be important to you but it is great for parents of young shooters. Also if you really get into it that cash requirement can get as high as $10-12 thousand for top of the line equipment.
SlartyBartFast

Post by SlartyBartFast »

If only just starting out, what value is there in getting gloves, jackets, or pants?

A rifle, targets, pellets, and a place to shoot. Start with sporting targets, set goals for improvements, move up to match targets, start accumulating more gear then.

The club I'm in encourages the RTS program:
http://sfc-ftc.ca/en/shortcuts/for_shoo ... ogram.html

Once you can consistently shoot well with those targets, time to advance.
- Smith & Wesson SW22 Victory
- FAS SP607
jerber

Post by jerber »

Okay
Thanks for the replies!
Especially the smart ass one!!!

Right now I don't think it would be smart for me to buy the jacket/pants/shoes as I don't really know yet if I'm going to be serious about it
However I do think I will get a glove so that I will have softer contact holding the rifle
I have shot a air rifle before(long ago)
My sister shot the air riffle and got me into air pistol
She was also a champion back then(early 80's)
And I do remember shooting her rifle and when trying to hold with my left hand I was not comfortable with using the palm of my hand but felt better with fist like holding
I am aware of the cost of shooting.this is why I'm getting a used AR to start with
If it doesn't work out I won't be out a whole lot of money
But if I do then...... Well here goes my saving account!!!!!!
I already ordered pellets and targets
I got the 5 bulls for now
Thanks everyone
What ever happened to the first person that replied to my post?
gwsb

Post by gwsb »

The point of coat and pants for a new shooter is so he can learn to shoot without doing irreprable harm to his back and so he can hold black. The pants are optional and while shooting boots are not necessary some sort of high top boots that stablize the ankle should be worn. Its not necessary to buy top of the line stuff but it is necessary to get the tools to learn to do the job.
jerber

Post by jerber »

Gwsb
Thanks I will keep that in mind if I get serious