Esprit Carabine stock - floating barrel & impact on tune

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963, David Levene, Spencer

Joost99

Esprit Carabine stock - floating barrel & impact on tune

Post by Joost99 »

Hi all,

I'm considering an EC 'universal concept' stock for my FWB 2700 barrel (I'm looking to buy a new barrel and action in future and like the idea of a stock which I can use for different brands).

They have a 'barrel bedding' solution which involves clamping the barrel to the stock with two metal rings - lined with what looks like large rubber O-rings, rather than traditional bolts - similar to one of the MEC concepts that was around a while ago I think. (Note they do also offer traditional mounting for Bleiker and adaptor plates are on the way - just not FWB).

1) Anyone have any experiences with this stock? (or the similar MEC one?)

2) I read the 'should I buy a tuner' thread with interest, plus other posts elsewhere about tuning - all new to me! Bedding screw torque seems to be a factor people raise, so I was wondering what impact this kind of bedding would have on tuning and harmonics - their web site talks about the action 'floating free' which I guess means that there is some give due to the rubber lining of the mounting rings. Clamping at two points (even with some movement) would presumably also have a damping impact on harmonics as opposed to bolting at the breech end?

Cheers

Justin
groverdog1

Re: Esprit Carabine stock - floating barrel & impact on tune

Post by groverdog1 »

Justin,

I note that a couple of shooters in Rio were using the stock. They opted to use the barrel clamping method rather than using the action block. Not sure who they were. Dan Killough at Killough Sports can probably answer some of your questions.

Mark
Tim S

Post by Tim S »

groverdog1 wrote:Justin,

I note that a couple of shooters in Rio were using the stock. They opted to use the barrel clamping method rather than using the action block. Not sure who they were. Dan Killough at Killough Sports can probably answer some of your questions.

Mark
You may be thinking of Marco de Nicolo and Petra Zublasing of Italy. Valerian Sauveplane may also have used the barrel clamp version in Rio.
Joost99

Post by Joost99 »

Yep, I've had a good look around the website, their facebook page and spoken to the uk distributer.

Main thing I'm mulling over is what to do about the locator pin for the FWB end tube which will foul the barrel clamps. Grinding it down or removing feels a bit permanent...

J
jpbt1994

Post by jpbt1994 »

Hi Joost99

Did you end up removing the locator pin? Do you know the dimensions of the stock? I'm quite amazed that the length of the stock would come close to touching the locator pin...

JPBT
Joost99

Post by Joost99 »

Haven't got around to buying one yet - needed the money for something else.

I had a chat with the uk distributor who suggested filing down the locator pin (doesn't need to be by much).

Seems to be necessary because the locking rings that fit the barrel to the stock get threaded onto the barrel from the muzzle end - so the pin would get in the way of doing that.

Will update if I do buy one.

Justin