What happened to my SCATT?

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963, David Levene, Spencer

Porcus

What happened to my SCATT?

Post by Porcus »

Hello all,

I have been reading TargetTalk for a while now and finally I decided to register as a member. You have so much good advices and ideas rolling around here, so thanks. Keep it rockin’! This summer I gathered all my shooting gears once again to the day light. I have not actually competed seriously for couple of years but now I think I’ll have some time and motivation to start all over again. So now on I will be hangin around on this forum too, a lot.

Right a way I found my self in trouble. Couple of weeks ago I tried to set up my SCATT USB device for home training. Soon I noticed that I need to update all firmware because of Windows10 so I contacted to SCATT-support how to do this. I got really fast and clear reply from them and I think that I made it all right. Now I tried to set up SCATT once more. This time the SCATT program opens and lets me start practice normally. But then started this madness. When I opened calibration window the dot was wobbling strangely. I tried to fix censor angle and position but it didn't help at all. I was hardly be able to hit the center ring for calibration shot. The calibration window showed me also strange distances, like 4,5m and 13m, but nothing near to the correct 6m. I was still able to get the trace on monitor. It was jumping wildly mainly on vertical axis. I have no idea why it is doing like this.

At the beginning of this desperate training session, I set the target device about 6m away and I had something like 1m wide free lane to the target. There was no reflecting material around the lane. I put my air rifle on steady table about 1m high and my target was also exactly at the same hight. There was no direct sun light and lighting was done by led lamps from ceiling. Everything seemed to be all right. I tried also different distances and target heights. More light, less light and lights off. Nothing.

Then I downloaded and opened SCATT usb devices testing tool. It recognized devices but showed that the testing tool was not able to get serial numbers ”Cannot get serial number” and there was also reading ”Device locked - enter key to unlock”. I tried to set the key and hit Ok, but after that nothing happens and then the window says ”not responding”. What is this? Looks like problem...

I have spend all day trying everything for fixing this. I have tried different ways how to fix shooting environment, censor, target and switching usb-ports, but nothing seems to help. I am so confused, because SCATT worked just perfectly when I practiced actively with it couple of years ago. I already contacted support once again but do anybody here know is there still something what I should try out?
bdutton

Re: What happened to my SCATT?

Post by bdutton »

What kind of lighting are you using. Incandescent bulbs release a lot of heat and can cause the ir to bounce. Use florescent lighting.
WesternGrizzly

Post by WesternGrizzly »

Contact SCATT USA and they will probably send you a program that will fix it. That's what they did with me.
Matt
John Marchant

Post by John Marchant »

Unless you are running Windows 10, roll back to an earlier version of Scatt software. Try Version 6.78 or 6.79 and see if that works. I had to do this recently with my XP laptop.