Experience with Anschutz 9015?

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963, David Levene, Spencer

illinoisshooter12

Experience with Anschutz 9015?

Post by illinoisshooter12 »

In the market for a new top of the line air rifle. There seems to be few comments online about the new Anschutz 9015. Would appreciate thoughts from anybody who has experience with it. I.e. is it meeting your expectations? Are there components that do not work the way you expected or need? What configuration did you buy (stock, grip)?

I appreciate it and I am sure the community will also.
Andre

Re: Experience with Anschutz 9015?

Post by Andre »

My friend has one of these:

http://jga.anschuetz-sport.com/index.ph ... 1e2deb2f68

Just saw it earlier today and shot half a target with it. I noticed the stock is very slimline and not bulky at all, came with a Centra front globe, the new ball bearing trigger is nice and smooth, and overall it feels like a very solid rifle. However, the plastic fore-end riser design is HORRENDOUS and the plastic grip, well is still plastic. The front tube is extendable with many settings.
turtlehead

Post by turtlehead »

My daughter has this model:
http://jga.anschuetz-sport.com/index.ph ... how=detail

She really likes it. Basically a precise aluminum stock with a wood grip. Real solid gun. No plastic except for cheekrest. I would recommend this model or the previous poster's for any 3P shooting.
If you are just interested in international standing only, then the "ONE" stock would work as it really isn't built for the 3P shooter.
twisted

Post by twisted »

My son just picked up the precise model. Was shooting a 8002 aluminum stock. First time out he picked up a few points in an offhand match. Next day, picked up another 10 points! I really like the Butt plate design but don't understand the weights and why they are designed to open like they do? I feel like I'm missing the point. Not a fan of the lack of trigger guard when the palm riser is off.

Overall, a very adjustable gun with a great trigger
Ltdave

Post by Ltdave »

ive seen a couple of juniors shooting the '15 in the "one" stock...

id avoid that stock and go with the regular aluminum or precise every day of the week and twice on sunday...

just my opinion as a non shooter. my daughter will use her 8002 s2 wood for another season probably...
illinoisshooter12

Post by illinoisshooter12 »

Ltdave wrote:id avoid that stock and go with the regular aluminum or precise every day of the week and twice on sunday...

just my opinion as a non shooter. my daughter will use her 8002 s2 wood for another season probably...
Thanks for that. If I may ask, why would you avoid the One stock? Is it because the juniors are shooting 3P and the One stock is not good for that? Or is something else causing challenges?

I appreciate it.
Ltdave

Post by Ltdave »

the cheekpiece (primarily) has only one post. one of the juniors my daughter shoots with got heavy handed and snapped the bolt that pinch tightens the stock around the post...

he was able to put some tape around the post to maintain the height but there was nothing to keep it from rotating around said post...

ive seen other bits and pieces on the stock that just look like very minimalist execution. there was also some issue with weight placement i.e. running afoul of the rules for overall dimensions...

the precision stock just looks more robust
jhmartin

Post by jhmartin »

Ltdave wrote:the cheekpiece (primarily) has only one post. one of the juniors my daughter shoots with got heavy handed and snapped the bolt that pinch tightens the stock around the post...
The ONE really is meant for International .... there is only a whisp of features that play to the 3-P game.
If you are shooting primarily Int'l then its a pretty good stock as it comes.

In my view the MAJOR disadvantage are the (very soft) Stainless bolts that are TORX (????!!!!!) Usually T10 & T20
If you get one (ONE?) replace all of them with as many hard (Grade 10.9 or 12.9) socket head cap bolts. Mostly you'll need M5 and some M4 or M3.
In a pinch you can get by with the (black) Alloy screws/bolts you get a Home Depot (I don't have any idea of their grade).

Otherwise, if you are a coach and have a need for lots of these types of screws/bolts, travel your browser over to Amazon.com ... a coaches best friend .... (especially those (!#@$^%%!&&!!!) little M3's on the sights your shooters break off all the time. (Oh yeah M5x20s for the stock piece bolts too)

MANUFACTURERS --- LISTEN UP --- DO NOT USE STAINLESS!!! (pretty but worthless)
==========================
Coach HAS to have a stash of bolts
Pheyden

Post by Pheyden »

I would like to add a comment about stainless fasteners. Probably the ONLY redeeming value of stainess fasteners in general, unless they are super expensive alloy series 400 types, is they do not rust and look pretty. That's it. No other good reasons to hse them.

Series 304 and 316 are the most common stainless hardware used. 304 being marine grade (they discolor, but do not rust) and 316 being "food grade". Both these grades have a yield strength of 65,000 PSI, as compared to a Grade 8 equivalent which has a yield strength of 130,000 PSI. Properly made stainless fasteners should be passivated to form a protective surface coating. This is particularly true in joint surfaves with other metal types to prevent galvanic corrosion. There is no weight advantage to using stainless hardware, as they are pretty much the same weight.

I would think that either metric 10.2 or SAE grade 8 fasteners would be a much better alternative.
ChristopherTorvic

Post by ChristopherTorvic »

I read the comments regarding the SS fasteners, thank you guys.
Not sure that I will change the fasteners on my 9015 ONE though.
My reasoning is that if you use controlled torque when making adjustments, there should be no problem.
The cheek piece has only one post, that may be a design deficiency, true.
However, if you think of the 'keep it simple' concept, if it works with one post, why use two?
Also, one observation I have is that adjustments are not meant to be changed daily.
The one complaint I may list about the Anschutz 9015 ONE is the fact that the carbon fiber shroud around the air tank is poorly finished. I mean it looks as if someone cut it with a hacksaw. At $4k, I would have expected a smooth finish of the end of the carbon fiber tank. But, that is just cosmetics, I guess...
As for my opinion of the 9015 ONE... it is incredible.
It shoots 5 consecutive pellets in the same hole at 10m.
I have an 'Olympic style' range in my basement and to date I shot about 500 rounds through my 9015 ONE.
I am slowly starting to get closer to my rifle's precision.
That is the biggest thing about the 9015 ONE, in my case.
It makes me realize how far I am from the level of precision the rifle itself can achieve.
One note is that I have upgraded the front and rear sights to the best available ones and that made a difference - for me.
Also, having owned 21 airguns, I can say without hesitation that the 5065 4K trigger of the 9015 ONE is the closest to perfection of all the ones I shot before. A marvel of engineering.

P.S. I also have an Anschutz 8002 S2 Black Air and I can say without exaggerating that the 9015 is a clear step up in accuracy and stability.
ChristopherTorvic

Post by ChristopherTorvic »

OK...
Now I stand corrected.
Today, while trying to move the front sight on my 9015 ONE, i have STRIPPED the stainless steel fastener!!!
So... I have to agree, when you pay $200 for the front sight and $500 for the rear sight, you SHOULD expect better than this.
I will write a complaint to Anschutz - maybe they will pay attention (though I will not hold my breath).
r32nj

Post by r32nj »

Is there an easy way to determine all the higher quality bolts needed for a 9015 or is there an assortment set available for sale somewhere?
deboom_j

Post by deboom_j »

ChristopherTorvic wrote:Also, having owned 21 airguns, I can say without hesitation that the 5065 4K trigger of the 9015 ONE is the closest to perfection of all the ones I shot before. A marvel of engineering.
Does anyone know what the relationship is between the Anschutz 5065 trigger and the G+E trigger? Looking at diagrams of each, they look almost identical. The difference being the Anschutz has 4 balls in the trigger axis (which I assume are for eliminating end play/side to side play in the trigger), and the G+E has some kind of damper that the sear bar falls down onto. Otherwise the levers, the springs, look identical, and the adjustment screws ARE identical.

Just wondering if Anschutz developed the trigger and G+E is licensing it, or if G+E developed it and Anschutz is licensing it. My personal guess is the second option, since the 5065 is only used by Anschutz on the air rifle and not the small bore, maybe G+E didn't want the competition with their small bore rifles?

OR am I crazy?

John