Upgrade anschutz 1907 walnut stock with Alu 1918 stock

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963, David Levene, Spencer

DunktheHoops

Upgrade anschutz 1907 walnut stock with Alu 1918 stock

Post by DunktheHoops »

Hi,

I shoot 22 prone and bench/rest albue support, my Anschutz 1907 walnut I bought new 2 years ago, I am thinking of upgrading it with a alu1918 stock.

I feel that wooden stock is a little to wide to achieve a comfortable support hand with a tight belt and I would like to have more stock adjustment so that I can achieve a more constant position against shoulder.

It is of course not a cheap upgrade, the new stock is approx. 1700 Eur, and if I am lucky I may get a trade in for the walnut stock, has anyone tried this upgrade, any thoughts/recommendations are very welcome.
Tim S

Re: Upgrade anschutz 1907 walnut stock with Alu 1918 stock

Post by Tim S »

The 1918 stock is certainly popular, and appears well made. The only criticisms I've heard are that the grip won't swing out (like the old 2213 stock) and that it's so shiny it can intefere with the sight picture. Practically it will take some timevgo settle with the new 1918 stock; remember the barrel/sights/grip will be several cm lower than with the 1907. You can raise the sights with blocks, but it's not as simple as transfer the barrel, set butt length, set handstop and go. Butt height, lateral position, hook angle, grip angle, and cheekpiece will all be subtly different. Once sorted the 1918 will feel so much better though.
patriot

Post by patriot »

I have 1913's in wood, the 2213 aluminum stock, and now the 1918 stock. They are all interchangeable. There are +'s and -'s between the 2213 and 1913; the grip and wood on the 2213 are better but the cast aluminum is less sturdy. I may sell the 2213 to standardize.

Mark
Shifty

Post by Shifty »

I was shooting a 1913 in a 1914 walnut stock which I changed for the same reasons you are looking at changing - the fore-end was too wide for my hands and I wanted the ability to change things up a little. I went with the 1918 stock in the matt black finish that's now available as standard. The fore end is much slimmer and narrower and fits my hand a lot better. As previously mentioned, you will need to use sight raisers to get a similar shooting position as the stock is so shallow compared to a wooden one. I have 23mm of risers at the back and 19mm at the front (my 10 inch extension tube needs a 4mm difference in height front to rear)
I haven't found any problems with the finish affecting the sight picture - imagine this is only for the silver finished stocks. Still, on the firing line of big competitions you still see plenty of the silver stocks and it doesn't seem to cause too many people problems - perhaps because the sun rarely shines in the UK!
DunktheHoops

Post by DunktheHoops »

Thanks alot sounds like a go for it to me I will let you know how I get on . Cheers
DunktheHoops

Post by DunktheHoops »

Well upgrade done I went for the newer black 1918 model, just in case the shiney alu caused a problem. The butt plate and cheek rest feel really good and are easy to adjust, so I felt that it was alot easier to repeat and keep that position. The support hand position is though very different and the narrower stock was not the feel that i expected and I seemed to get more movement, I did alot of experimenting with the hand stop and strap tension and ended up in much the same position as on the old stock. I did not feel the height was a problem, but the grip felt very different and I found out that what was variations in the support hand were actually variations in the grip where variations in tension torque the rifle.

This leads to a new question, do you position the grip hand the same way as on a pistol with the grip center line in the v between index and thumb?, this must also affect the position of your grip hand albue. I think I may have been focusing to much on the support hand where perhaps it should have been the grip.

I shot about 50 rounds and you certainly get alot more feed back on your shots, and it is easier to judge where your shot has hit without looking at the monitor.

I felt like a new beginner again, and I was shooting 8's and 7's but I know that this is due to so many changes at one time, also I was not concentrating on shot execution but everything else that felt different.
Tim S

Post by Tim S »

I try to hold the grip fully without bending my wrist. I want the web of my thumb to be up against the grip. The grip may not fit your palm perfectly, so the thumb web is a good reference point.

As for the balance, remember the barrel/action sits a couple of cm closer to you in the 1918 stock than the 1907, so there may be less weight in front of your hand, which can make the rifle feel more stable.
DunktheHoops

Post by DunktheHoops »

Thanks Tim that makes alot of sense.