Fitting new bolt to match64

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963, David Levene, Spencer

pitanh

Fitting new bolt to match64

Post by pitanh »

I'm getting back a match 64 that was lent out in the early 90's to a promising junior, along the line he lost the bolt. He's bought a brand new bolt for me, I anticipate some long days getting it to work! Anyone ever do this? Can I adjust headspace off the bolt handle boss or do I have to pull the barrel and re pin her? No novice here been hack smithing for years but this is a new one for me.
Thanks! PitaNH
Tim S

Re: Fitting new bolt to match64

Post by Tim S »

Having seen Anschutz gunsmiths working at Bisley replace a Match 54 handle, they chose an oversize handle and filed the front to adjust the seating depth of the body. They did not file the rear surfaces of the lugs where these bear on the action. If the new bolt is too long could you file the front of the rear section? I'd be worried that the handle stub was hardened to prevent wear.
Andre

Re: Fitting new bolt to match64

Post by Andre »

If the bolt already fits into the action, give it to a gunsmith who has a set of .22lr headspace gauges to check headspace. Too little and you can't close the bolt, too much and the rim can bulge and potentially pop. He should have two gauges, a go and a no-go gauge, if he has a third "Field gauge" even better. The trigger also may have to be timed with the new firing pin. I do not know the procedure for timing a trigger on a 64 action, but it is very simple on the 54.