Re-barreling a FWB 2700

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963, David Levene, Spencer

dubvrifle

Re-barreling a FWB 2700

Post by dubvrifle »

Anybody tried to re-barrel a FWB 2700? I've been looking everywhere to find information, but can't seem to find any.
I'm looking to take a few actions and get shorter barrels put in them, but I'm trying to figure out the make and contour of the barrels so that it would be a relatively easy process of switching them out. Suggestions or starting points?
1813benny

Re: Re-barreling a FWB 2700

Post by 1813benny »

I know of one that was not rebreed, but rather they took about 4" off of the chamber end and reinstalled. Shot very well and was lighter for the shooter.
Regards
ken
dubvrifle

Post by dubvrifle »

The reason I was looking to re-barrel my actions instead of cutting them off is one barrel has never shot as expected and the other has a considerable round count. I got the barreled action at around 50k-60k, and have put 4 more years of shooting on top of that.
1813benny

Post by 1813benny »

The reason that the rifle I mentioned was rechambered was due to the same reason - it never shot really well. You might want to check the level of rifling engagement on the bullet. The one that was rechambered had little if any engagement and once redone shot very well.

Regards
ken
dubvrifle

Post by dubvrifle »

1813benny wrote:The reason that the rifle I mentioned was rechambered was due to the same reason - it never shot really well. You might want to check the level of rifling engagement on the bullet. The one that was rechambered had little if any engagement and once redone shot very well.

Regards
ken
Thanks! I'll check that out. Hadn't really considered that an option. However, that only fixes the one barreled action, as far as I know.
Tim S

Post by Tim S »

dubvrifle wrote:
1813benny wrote:Thanks! I'll check that out. Hadn't really considered that an option. However, that only fixes the one barreled action, as far as I know.
If the high mileage barrel shot well previously, that might benefit from rechambering too. Much of the wear occurs in, or just ahead of the throat, so the new chamber would be cut into unworn steel.
dubvrifle

Post by dubvrifle »

Tim S wrote:
If the high mileage barrel shot well previously, that might benefit from rechambering too. Much of the wear occurs in, or just ahead of the throat, so the new chamber would be cut into unworn steel.

Thanks. I'll definitely look into it.
gwsb

Post by gwsb »

Never fall in love with your barrel. It doesn't know you own it. Cut it off and throw it away. Setting back and recrowning are usually not worth the money.

Does anyone know of a top quality gunsmith to rebarrel 22 match rifles? All the ones I have known over the years are either retired or passed.
mbradley

Post by mbradley »

Jeff Madison did mine and it shoots great. He can chamber it how you want it and index it as well.
jhmartin

Post by jhmartin »

Having Mark Penrod do one now.
The examples of his work that I've tested with Lapua ammo have been amazing.

Mark (at) penrodprecision.com
rbs

Post by rbs »

I can recommend Howard Pitts, his success plus Mark DelCotto's outstanding performance this whole year are examples of his work.