Ideas for pellet trap -home use

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963, David Levene, Spencer

Montana

Ideas for pellet trap -home use

Post by Montana »

Not only do I need to figure out a pellet trap to use at home but I also need ideas on being able to have my daughter shoot all positions too. This I'm not sure if one will work or do I need multiple traps?
Rover

Re: Ideas for pellet trap -home use

Post by Rover »

Do a search. This subject has been beaten to death.

BUT, since a box of rags is free, be a big spender.
Montana

Post by Montana »

I've searched a bunch and majority of what I see is a box design with rubber shavings with or without the putty material from the hardware store as a backstop.

What I need is the ability for my daughter to move a target from offhand to kneeling to sitting & to prone easily but have a safe backstop. Since I'm planning on having her shoot the air rifle in the garage I also don't want stray lead hitting my daughter or my old cars. So far the best I've seen has been on the CMP website. At least it's a start, hoping someone's mastered this "wheel" so I don't have to create it. Thanks!
45ACP223

Post by 45ACP223 »

Build a box with an open top. Screw in a few furring strips across the top with a piece of old carpet stapled to the furring strip on the back two, and a mount a clip to hold the target on the front strip. Make it as large as you need, but keep the wight in mind if your daughter needs to move it around. I used this setup for years in my basement until I bought an actual pellet/22lr trap. The carpet, rags, rubber, putty methods require building something to house them, but they sure are a lot quieter also than the pellet hitting a metal trap. A simple 2x4 or 2x6 frame with a back and filled with putty works great also.
Shooterer

Post by Shooterer »

Rover is right, use a box of rags.

Or, you can stop by my house and I will give you the 2 custom plywood pellet traps I built with carpeted interiors (for sound), sloped back (to deduce blow back) and hanging leather baffles (because I thought it was a cool idea).

After seeing Rover's post last year on the subject, I tried it and haven't looked back.

For different positions, stack the same box on a chair or milk crates when you change the target.

Edit: for a back drop, hang a large rug behind the target from the rafters. If your looking of a very nice all in one kit, go to Creedmoor Sports website. http://www.creedmoorsports.com/product/ ... -Gun-Range
Misny

Post by Misny »

Our host offers pellet traps for rifle and pistol. The website isn't the best for navigation or to see a product, but they are great to deal with personally, e-mail or phone, so I'd give them a call at 1(931) 924-3400.
Thauglor

Post by Thauglor »

I built one using the putty from home depot. Didn't melt in 120 degree heat the other week, and is quiet. I am perfectly happy.
NuJudge

Post by NuJudge »

The putty referred to above is probably "duct seal," a mix of clay and light oil, and makes for a trap that is very quiet and lead dust free. My wife's dogs mind this type of trap a lot less than the steel traps.

Any sizable wood box will serve well as a form. The one I chose, I put a piece of hot rolled steel in the back to stop anything that got through the clay/oil.
bugman1955

Post by bugman1955 »

Creed moor Sports sells an adjustable trap for around $300.00. If she is shooting all positions this may be the way to go.
dakota308

Post by dakota308 »

I had a friend make a sheet metal trap, similar to the .22 bullet traps. All you really need is a square piece of 16 gauge (.06) sheet steel, bigger than the target size, mounted in a cardboard box. The steel will stop the pellets and the outside of the box will hold the targets with push pins. For vertical adjustment, we use a file cabinet. Prone, pull out bottom draw and set it on the drawer. Kneeling, second drawer and standing, top drawer. Just make sure you have enough counter weight in the other drawers, so when you open it and set your target box on it, it doesn't tip over.
turtlehead

Post by turtlehead »

Pm sent
bdutton

Post by bdutton »

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B8XJT ... V9XMkhocjQ

That is the design for my air gun target box which uses about $20 in parts. $40 if you add the adjustable shelves for 3P shooting.

You can also just take a cardboard box from the liquor store, put a piece of 1/2 inch wood in the back and stuff is full of cardboard or newspaper. Use pushpins to hold the target in place.
PCU

Post by PCU »

Might consider this type of target stand: http://thecmp.org/training-tech/coachin ... and-plans/
PCU

Post by PCU »

Look at the Lujan target which includes construction details.
JPK

Post by JPK »

I made one of these for my daughter. They are fairly easy if you have a table saw and drill. I added a wheel on the front of each leg so when you tilt the stand toward you it can be easily moved or put away.
http://thecmp.org/wp-content/uploads/Co ... tStand.pdf
illinoisshooter12

Post by illinoisshooter12 »

2X4's for a stand - 1/4's for a box - drill, saw, screws, screw driver, putty.

Built a stand for my son using two by fours - with holes to place the box at three different levels - and then a box with putty layered in the back. Easy.
GeraldC

Post by GeraldC »

My one used light conveyor belting screwed at the top only and hanging down.
Pellets hit it and fell straight down.
You might also be able to use an old truck rubber mudflap.
I used one of the target return systems with strings and a motor.