training for offhand

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963, David Levene, Spencer

pcw

training for offhand

Post by pcw »

I have been working on NPA and balance for offhand. Would it be of any value to use an 8 or 10 lb weigth held in the left hand (rt hand shooter) to practice for balance and inner position? This would be something I could do in my down time at work.
Shooter

Re: training for offhand

Post by Shooter »

Nope. The best thing to do is to just try to stand as still as you can for a few minutes at a time until you can get the movement as little as possible. Don in Oregon
WesternGrizzly

Post by WesternGrizzly »

I don't think it would help. Holding without the jacket will though. One drill to do at home would be something like this: Get everything set up minus the jacket, point at a blank wall and do some holding. Since you said you are focusing on balance, focus on getting your balance between your heel and toe before you put your head on the stock, once you put your head on the stock does your balance change? You might need to tweak your head position so it doesn't change your balance. While doing this drill you should also be focusing on making your hold as small as possible. Relax here, tweak a foot there, etc and you will see improvements pretty quickly.
Matt
pcw

Post by pcw »

I get small blocks of down time at work and I've been doing just those sorts of exercises. I started thiking that maybe a weight would help me cement the position of my left elbow. Maybe not.