Which way to mount front sight - FWB 602?

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963, David Levene, Spencer

Mtl_Biker

Which way to mount front sight - FWB 602?

Post by Mtl_Biker »

As some of you know, I received my used (new to me) Feinwerkbau 602 last week. It arrived with the sights and stock removed to make for a smaller package. I installed the stock and the sights and I'm so far VERY happy with the rifle.

But last night was our club's airgun night and the club owns an almost identical FWB 602. Comparing the two I noticed that the front sight is mounted differently on both rifles. And nobody at the club knew which was the correct way.

Which one is correct? And does it really matter? At the club we've been shooting that rifle for months very successfully, and with my rifle on a bag rest, I succeeded in getting a PERFECT 120/120 score at 10-meters on a standard air rifle target. I had not ever been able to do that with any of the other guns I own and I think this indicates the rifle is set up well.

So, what's the right way and does it really matter?
AA S510 Xtra FAC Ultimate Sporter *CARBINE* .22
CZ200S "Green" .177
Feinwerkbau 800 Evolution Top
AA S400 MPR FT .177
Steyr EVO 10
Weihrauch HW50S .22
Tim S

Re: Which way to mount front sight - FWB 602?

Post by Tim S »

Normally the end with the foresight element/insert faces the shooter.
Mtl_Biker

Post by Mtl_Biker »

Tim S wrote:Normally the end with the foresight element/insert faces the shooter.
Both those guns have the foresight element facing the shooter. In both cases the end nearest the shooter is unscrewed to get to the element.

Looking at Google images of the gun, it looks like the bottom rifle is installed correctly, or at least the way most of the images depict it.
CZ200S "Green" .177
AA S400 MPR FT .177
Steyr EVO 10
Weihrauch HW50S .22
Tim S

Post by Tim S »

I think the far rifle has the element at the wrong end. The large thumbscrew is normally used for elements. The other is for filters, spirit levels, or eagle eye lenses.
Shooterer

Post by Shooterer »

Tim S wrote:I think the far rifle has the element at the wrong end. The large thumbscrew is normally used for elements. The other is for filters, spirit levels, or eagle eye lenses.
Tim is correct, the iris should be closer to the shooter and the magnifying lens is after the sighting ring.
Mtl_Biker

Post by Mtl_Biker »

Shooterer wrote:
Tim S wrote:I think the far rifle has the element at the wrong end. The large thumbscrew is normally used for elements. The other is for filters, spirit levels, or eagle eye lenses.
Tim is correct, the iris should be closer to the shooter and the magnifying lens is after the sighting ring.
Magnifying lens?

So the club's gun is set up wrong. But it shoots really well and is very easy to get a good sight picture. In both cases, the aperture element was inserted from the end closest to the shooter.

Since they have the gun set that way and they like it, is there a reason for changing it? Other than just to be "correct"?
CZ200S "Green" .177
AA S400 MPR FT .177
Steyr EVO 10
Weihrauch HW50S .22
Shooterer

Post by Shooterer »

I thought you had this
http://www.gehmann.com/english/products ... tegorie=29
at one end of the sight tunnel and this
http://www.gehmann.com/english/products ... tegorie=26
at the other.

sorry for the confusion.
Mtl_Biker

Post by Mtl_Biker »

Shooterer wrote:I thought you had this
http://www.gehmann.com/english/products ... tegorie=29
at one end of the sight tunnel and this
http://www.gehmann.com/english/products ... tegorie=26
at the other.

sorry for the confusion.
That's (the links you provided) very interesting.... I had no idea that magnifying lenses could be used. Are they allowed in competition?

In any case, the sights on my FWB 602 are, as far as I can determine, original with the gun. And they're identical to what is on the gun owned by my local club. Other than for the fact that the adjustable iris on my rear sight also has color filters that can be dialed into place. My front sight is 22mm and the stuff you linked to is 18mm.

Pardon my inexperience, but do you have any idea if a magnifying lens is available for the sight on my 602? My eyesight isn't the greatest (and I wear progressive eyeglasses) so a bit of magnification probably would be helpful.
CZ200S "Green" .177
AA S400 MPR FT .177
Steyr EVO 10
Weihrauch HW50S .22
bruce

Post by bruce »

Not that it matters in the context of club shooting, but in ISSF air rifle matches the overhanging front sight would contravene rule 7.4.4(b)
"The front sight may not extend beyond the apparent muzzle."
Mtl_Biker

Post by Mtl_Biker »

bruce wrote:Not that it matters in the context of club shooting, but in ISSF air rifle matches the overhanging front sight would contravene rule 7.4.4(b)
"The front sight may not extend beyond the apparent muzzle."
Well then, that really clears up any question of which way the front sight should be mounted. Thank you.
CZ200S "Green" .177
AA S400 MPR FT .177
Steyr EVO 10
Weihrauch HW50S .22