Cheek pieces - best design?

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963, David Levene, Spencer

Tim S

Re: Cheek pieces - best design?

Post by Tim S »

Modena,

yes moulded cheekpieces are permitted for 50m rifle events. Google images of Amy Sowash to see what she has done; those are definitely for function not appearance.

Personally I tried moulding a cheekpeice but it didn't work. With the putty on the gun, I struggled to apply the right pressure. With the putty off the gun, I had issues with adjusting the position of the mould to align my eye with the aperture. For me, applying plastic wood to get the rough shape, and then sanding it to shape worked better.
NMC_EXP

Post by NMC_EXP »

I am considering trying this material to modify a cheek piece. The brand name is Sugro. It is a silicone rubber. It is a solid, not a foam and has a Durometer hardness of 70 which is quite firm (similar to a typical car tire tread rubber).

It is apparently a two part material. Once mixed it is a soft putty with a 30 minute pot life. During this time it can be shaped then adhered to its mounting surface. It is said to be self adhesive to almost any substrate but can be removed.

https://sugru.com/
dezzick3

Post by dezzick3 »

To those who use Gemini stocks, I also struggled with the original cheekpiece until I copied Katie Gleeson and turned it around so the coloured metal bit was facing me. There's a much more defined edge on that side and whilst it may look odd I've found it far easier to ensure head position consistency using the cheekpiece that way
TenMetrePeter

Post by TenMetrePeter »

NMC_EXP wrote:I am considering trying this material to modify a cheek piece. The brand name is Sugro. It is a silicone rubber. It is a solid, not a foam and has a Durometer hardness of 70 which is quite firm (similar to a typical car tire tread rubber).

It is apparently a two part material. Once mixed it is a soft putty with a 30 minute pot life. During this time it can be shaped then adhered to its mounting surface. It is said to be self adhesive to almost any substrate but can be removed.

https://sugru.com/

Sugru is one part silicone rubber that comes in foil sachets that sets over 24 hours on contact with moist air. Requires no mixing unless you want to combine colors but kneading it in gloved hand for 30 seconds is still recommended from my experience.

highly recommended material.

I still prefer a sharp edge to lodge under the cheekbone rather than a violin style fitted shape.
Tim S

Post by Tim S »

dezzick3 wrote:To those who use Gemini stocks, I also struggled with the original cheekpiece until I copied Katie Gleeson and turned it around so the coloured metal bit was facing me. There's a much more defined edge on that side and whilst it may look odd I've found it far easier to ensure head position consistency using the cheekpiece that way
The left side is very rounded, and much too thick. I had to build up the front of mine into a sharp edge with plastic wood. It's not pretty, but I fits me.