Slings - anyone have opinions on Thume ATL?

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963, David Levene, Spencer

strafishprime

Slings - anyone have opinions on Thume ATL?

Post by strafishprime »

Hi Folks

I shoot 22 and FB target rifle - mostly prone. I have a thick leather Anschutz sling but have been looking at the Thune ATL - partly as I hope it alleviates sideways pressure on my elbow joint (which hurts!)

Has anyone experience of this sling or recommendations for a medium priced alternative?

Thanks

Ian
batty

Re: Slings - anyone have opinions on Thume ATL?

Post by batty »

Personally, I cannot rate the the MEC sling enough. pricy but well worth the money
Cumbrian

Post by Cumbrian »

The MEC is very good, I agree, except that its button will not fit the Gemini handstop, and perhaps others as well. If you like the Gemini with its wide offset capability, you may not like the MEC handstop that the sling requires. I solved the problem by retaining the MEC shoulder and arm attachment, its main attractive feature, and cutting off the long belt part from a Thune sling (the rest ruined of course), which can take a button suitable for the Gemini handstop. The combination works very well for me.
ZD

Post by ZD »

I used a Kurt Thune ATL in college for about a year and a half; I really liked it. Before I had a Kurt Thune Model 2, no issues with it. The Sauer sling with the adjustable wheel is also quite nice. I would advise against the MEC sling. When it works, it is great. However, the attachment point is finicky (it screws in instead of snaps), and material is very flimsy (after using it for a little bit it shreds and looks like it has been used for years), and the adjustable wheel on the arm has a tenancy to fly apart. The team I shot for in college purchased quite a few; when they worked people loved them, but we ended up doing things like changing out the sling attachment to the hand stop, replacing the main sling body with Kurt Thune material, and working on the wheel. I do think an adjustable sling is worth it; very handy in kneeling, as you can make small NPA adjustments with it. I found it to be more comfortable for me in prone as well.
batty

Post by batty »

ZD wrote:I used a Kurt Thune ATL in college for about a year and a half; I really liked it. Before I had a Kurt Thune Model 2, no issues with it. The Sauer sling with the adjustable wheel is also quite nice. I would advise against the MEC sling. When it works, it is great. However, the attachment point is finicky (it screws in instead of snaps), and material is very flimsy (after using it for a little bit it shreds and looks like it has been used for years), and the adjustable wheel on the arm has a tenancy to fly apart. The team I shot for in college purchased quite a few; when they worked people loved them, but we ended up doing things like changing out the sling attachment to the hand stop, replacing the main sling body with Kurt Thune material, and working on the wheel. I do think an adjustable sling is worth it; very handy in kneeling, as you can make small NPA adjustments with it. I found it to be more comfortable for me in prone as well.

like all things in shooting you need to look after them! had a MEC sling for not far off 10 years and i'm only on my second one because i husband "borrowed" my first one (so the second one is now 7 years old!). Both are still working extremely well and we've never had them fall apart, but then we do look after them. As for the screw it, its much easier than a fiddly button that snaps in!
Martin Catley

Post by Martin Catley »

I had an early one which did give trouble, the pins pulled through the material on the front strap. I contacted MEC and they sent me a complete set of straps to replace the entire sling. Great service. The replacement has lasted several years now.
casadehusker

Post by casadehusker »

Had the same problems as above with an early MEC.....got rid of it.

Have had the ATL for a number of years both SB and HP. Now us just for HP. Use a Sauer now for SB.
strafishprime

Post by strafishprime »

Hi everyone

thanks for your very informative posts. In the end I bought the Truttman sling - v.expensive but so far - seems a good piece of kit. Adjustable but without too many complex fiddly connections. I will give it a couple of weeks and post a more considered opinion. Will try out with a 308 tomorrow.

thanks again

Ian