A comparision of loading ports between the various rifles...

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963, David Levene, Spencer

ShootWithStyle

A comparision of loading ports between the various rifles...

Post by ShootWithStyle »

3/23 - Updated with Rieder und Lenz and Tesro rifles.

Time to update this thread. I have added the FWB 2800. Kudos to FWB for coming out with something radically different from their previous rifle. Looks like Anschutz has fallen behind everyone now as far as development.

I was bored and just decided to take some photos of the different rifles available and put red lines across them to mark where the loading ports are. In my recent research to determine my next rifle the big thing I've been looking at now is where the loading port is located in relation to the trigger.

There's been a greater emphasis on ergonomics recently and being able to load in the prone position with little to no movement of the rifle and body. The closer the loading port the more chance you have of loading without even lifting your elbow off the ground. Since the hand is already positioned to grasp the pistol grip and engage the trigger, having the loading port directly over the trigger is advantageous as it doesn't take much to move the hand to access this area of the rifle.

It's considerably difficult if you happen to have short arms. One girl from Team Canada was never able to reach the loading port on her Anschutz 2013 even with the stock as short as she could make it. She was literally tossing rounds into the loading port hoping they would land and be facing the correct way. She ended up buying a Bleiker and doesn't have that problem anymore.

You can see the loading ports of older models of Anschutz are quite far forward of the trigger. Same for the KK300 and FWB 2700. The new 54.30 brings it back a little bit, but not as far as Walther did with the KK500. The KK500 loading port is about as close as the Bleiker and Grunig, but at about half the cost of those rifles.

The comparison between the makes isn't exact as all these rifles use different stocks and the length of pull can be varied which can aid you in loading the rifle. This is where the Anschutz Precise stock is lacking because the pistol grip cannot be adjusted backwards or forwards. So changing LOP would result in adopting an arm and wrist position to accommodate the change. With other stocks, if you shortened your LOP you could move the pistol grip forward to compensate for the change and maintain your preferred arm and wrist angle.

Just food for thought for anyone looking at getting a new rifle. Back to boredom now.

1907/1913

KK300

KK500

FWB 2700

FWB 2800

Grunig

Bleiker

Reider und Lenz 50 Sportgewehr ZII

Tesro SBR100
Last edited by ShootWithStyle on Fri Mar 23, 2018 6:36 pm, edited 3 times in total.
jbell

Re: A comparision of loading ports between the various rifle

Post by jbell »

That is very cool! Its a view you never get to see with all of them on one page, really informative. Thank you for posting.
Modena

Post by Modena »

Thank you very much for this. As a newbie this is something I hadn't even considered.

Very good food for thought.....
Cumbrian

Post by Cumbrian »

Very interesting, and a most important aspect of rifle design. Have you ever looked at a BSA International, which gives excellent access to its loading port (if you can call it that)? Ladies in our club have found these BSAs superior to the older Anschutzs for this sole reason.
sandy22

Post by sandy22 »

Cumbrian wrote:Very interesting, and a most important aspect of rifle design. Have you ever looked at a BSA International, which gives excellent access to its loading port (if you can call it that)? Ladies in our club have found these BSAs superior to the older Anschutzs for this sole reason.
Just so.

The winner in this game is.....

trax

Post by trax »

Great comparison, thanks for posting! :)
imac

Post by imac »

I've just received my kk500 and while I could load from the shoulder on my 1907 it was still disruptive to the prone position. With loading port above trigger I can keep everything in place. Has it helped my scores. ....yes
GeraldC

Post by GeraldC »

Why didnt Anschutz just set the action back like this ?
Last edited by GeraldC on Fri Jan 29, 2016 3:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Shifty

Post by Shifty »

Comparing the 54.30 to the G&E, Bleiker and especially the KK500 makes the 54.30 seem somewhat half-assed. The loading port is still really far forwards compared to its main competitors.
Peter_Scant

Post by Peter_Scant »

Perhaps Anschutz's next action will be the 54.90 :)
mtncwru

Post by mtncwru »

Peter_Scant wrote:Perhaps Anschutz's next action will be the 54.90 :)
Followed by the 55.00? :-)
ShootWithStyle

Post by ShootWithStyle »

Time to update this thread. I have added the FWB 2800. Kudos to FWB for coming out with something radically different from their previous rifle. Looks like Anschutz has fallen behind everyone now as far as development. Please see updated first post in this thread.
Last edited by ShootWithStyle on Tue Mar 13, 2018 12:22 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Piefou

Post by Piefou »

The loading port of the Feinwerkbau 2800 is even behind the diopter :D

http://www.targettalk.org/viewtopic.php ... 69#p277169
FWB P700 Alu & JSB S100 pellets // Annie 1913 Precise & Eley Sport bullets
ShootWithStyle

Post by ShootWithStyle »

Piefou wrote:The loading port of the Feinwerkbau 2800 is even behind the diopter :D

http://www.targettalk.org/viewtopic.php ... 69#p277169
oui, bien sur. ;)
rtucker6508

Post by rtucker6508 »

This is outstanding.. thank you for posting.
40xguy

Post by 40xguy »

the new Walther smallbore rifle is in the neighborhood of $5000, with all the goodies !!!
Hammer to shape, file to fit, paint to match...
groverdog1

Post by groverdog1 »

Given we are all built differently, different lengths between the buttstock and pistol grip, should you not focus on the distance the loading port is from the pistol grip.?
ShootWithStyle

Post by ShootWithStyle »

groverdog1 wrote:Given we are all built differently, different lengths between the buttstock and pistol grip, should you not focus on the distance the loading port is from the pistol grip.?
Regardless of whether it's in relation to the trigger or pistol grip, closer is better.
BR1942

Post by BR1942 »

Thank you very much for your job.
Very interesting.
mtncwru

Post by mtncwru »

Thanks for the update, Jober!