Better value

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963, David Levene, Spencer

Archer007

Better value

Post by Archer007 »

Hi, this is my first post although I have been reading this forum for some time. Last week I bought an S400 MPR as a replacement for my RWS 54 cause it's just to loud to shoot inside. Rifle arrived in a few days unfortunately when I open the box the stock has a crack that's glued together, this is supposed to be a new rifle. Called pyramyd air and was told it came from the factory like that and set up an RMA. While waiting for the return to be processed, 7-10 days they told me, I am trying to decide which one to get cause I lost my confidence with this brand. I am thinking of just paying more for a better rifle. These are my choices FWB 800 basic $1849 @ pyramyd, FWB 800 universal $2020@ champions choice, LG 400 alutec economy $1895 @champions choice, and LG400 universal $1725 @ champions choice. Since I am new to this just wanted to know which is the better value. Thanks in advance.
Rover

Re: Better value

Post by Rover »

Buy an R7. Also get a handle on your buyer's remorse.
abinok

Post by abinok »

The better value is to buy used. There is a walther lg300xt alutec for sale in the classifieds on this very board that isn't much more than the air arms you already bought.
Rover

Post by Rover »

Good advice from Abinok.

Do really have a clue to what you want/need? Going from a field gun to a target rifle to plink in your house?
Archer007

Post by Archer007 »

Thanks for the advice and feedback. Actually I am just looking for a rifle that is less powerful and quieter than a field rifle. I also have a break barrel rifle but even that one is a little too noisy for where I shoot it. I have a 10 meter range set up inside my house. I am actually happy with the specs of the S400 and like the way it looks when I opened the box until I noticed the crack. At first I thought it was damaged in shipping but closer inspection revealed that it was glued together, reason for my skepticism on the quality control of the brand. I am not an airgun guy, the two spring piston rifles I mentioned are the only airguns in my gun collection. Thanks again for the response.
Attachments
IMG_20151127_124633193~3.jpg
Wynne G Oldman

Post by Wynne G Oldman »

Archer007 wrote:Thanks for the advice and feedback. Actually I am just looking for a rifle that is less powerful and quieter than a field rifle. I also have a break barrel rifle but even that one is a little too noisy for where I shoot it. I have a 10 meter range set up inside my house. I am actually happy with the specs of the S400 and like the way it looks when I opened the box until I noticed the crack. At first I thought it was damaged in shipping but closer inspection revealed that it was glued together, reason for my skepticism on the quality control of the brand. I am not an airgun guy, the two spring piston rifles I mentioned are the only airguns in my gun collection. Thanks again for the response.
I very much doubt that your rifle left Air Arms in that condition. I am left to wonder if this rifle was a RMA that was't checked properly before shipping from the company that you bought it off?
Morini 162 EI
Anschutz 1913 Supermatch
BigAl

Post by BigAl »

I have quite a bit of experience with AA rifles. As well as shooting them I do some work for a local dealer. He was the very first retailer to place an order with AA, when they started selling the guns that they had made for Sussex Armoury, before they went under. That's not something that AA would pull, although I know of some companies that would. having access to the trade is rather interesting, and I have to say there is now a quite small list of guns that I would actually contemplate buying.

Alan
abinok

Post by abinok »

If that rifle appeared at my doorstep for full retail price, id send it back instantly. If i paid half retail for a used gun, it might but a little remorse in the buy, but id probably keep it if it shot impeccably.
A daisy 753 is quiet enough for indoors, and is $125 delivered from CMP... even the crosman 2009 is pretty quiet...
kevinweiho

Post by kevinweiho »

Looks like a used or blemished rifle, they probably messed up with the new guns. I also agree that the better value are used match airguns. Most of them are well taken cared of by their owners and will hold their value when you decide to sell them.
Archer007

Post by Archer007 »

Thanks for all the responses. I did call the store as soon as I discovered the issue and was told they are sure it was a 'factory new' item. They sent me an RMA and shipping label and will replace or refund as soon as they get it back. The main reason for my post is to see which of the 4 rifles above has a better value for the price I can get them for. But you guys are correct that I should also consider a used one.
zanemoseley

Post by zanemoseley »

I also just bought a rifle to practice in my basement. I ended up buying a used FWB 601 from JimE in the for sale section, he gets a lot of nice used rifles from Germany but most are CO2 or SSP(single pump), mine is a single pump and it doesn't bother me at all. I have a Freeland offhand stand that I place it on between shots to pump, load and recover from the last shot. For MY purposes its perfect, also no screwing around with refilling and maintaining air tanks. If I were you I would PM him to see what he has already or has on the way from Germany. You're likely to get much more for the money and get something that will maintain its resale % much better than a new budget PCP. FYI the pump pressure is very moderate, I'm 6' tall 32 years old and doesn't bother me a bit, for a 13 year old girl it might be a different story.

Also regarding that crack that's a load of crap, I can't believe it got out of the factory like that. Its kind of pitiful you have to spend $2k to get a really nice quality air rifle.
zanemoseley

Post by zanemoseley »

Also one more thing, I can't believe they make a rifle stock from poplar, IMO it isn't nearly hearty enough for a stock with a grip transition like that, which is why it cracked. We use a lot of poplar at my work, it is strong when used properly but its just not hard enough to use for a stock like that which is why I've never seen anyone using poplar for rifle stocks, maple and walnut is about all I recall.
Jimro

Post by Jimro »

Birch makes a nice stock, but I've never seen one with a grip area that steep. I've seen birch stocks for Mosin Nagants, budget Mausers, and M14/M1As. It's functional wood, although not anywhere as pretty as walnut or hard maple.

Jimro
TerryKuz

Post by TerryKuz »

I think any of the rifles will serve you well. Walther advertises that their models are modular and can be upgraded. I would look for the models that give you room to explore. Something like a buttplate can make a big difference. Good luck.
BigAl

Post by BigAl »

zanemoseley wrote:FYI the pump pressure is very moderate, I'm 6' tall 32 years old and doesn't bother me a bit, for a 13 year old girl it might be a different story.
My daughter started with a Walther LGR SSP when she started 10m AR at the club. She shot that rifle for about six months until they picked up some second hand PCP rifles as club guns. After that she used a FWB P70 Universal for a while before moving on to a Walther LG300XT in the wooden stock. She shot that rifle for about a year, until her Grandma bought her a Walther LG400 Alutec Basic for her 16th birthday. Her coach made up a new forend riser plate, and a custom adjustable weight that fits within the butt area, and is within the rules, as it's not mounted to the buttplate riser. It has been through EC at several major Matches in the UK, including the nationals.

I will say the Universal models are great for club guns, as they are ambidextrous, but I would not really recommend one as a personal purchase. A dedicated right/left handed stock is far more likely to fit better, and good fit is really important if you are after good results. I would be biased to the Walther in the OP's initial list, and the Alutec, which I have to say having shot Rosie's rifle is nicer than a wood stock. Any current rifle in a basic alu stock is going to be more than enough rifle for any shooter, unless they actually make it to full ISSF international competition. Even a lsat model rifle in a handed wooden stock is going to take some beating. Apart from the effort involved, a SSP is as accurate as a PCP in the 10m game.

Alan
Archer007

Post by Archer007 »

Just wanted to thank everyone for their insight on my inquiry. I heed your advice and got a used 'LG400 competition' from this site, for a few dollars cheaper than any of the rifles I listed above. The air reservoir was marked 11/13 so I am guessing the rifle was originally purchased less than 2 years ago. It came with all the original accessories and it looks like the manual was not even opened (no crease). except for a small circular scratch on the forearm rail from mounting a bi-pod, which the seller disclosed, it looks like new. Even with my limited ability in 10 meter shooting I can hit the bulls eye once in a while after about 50 rounds of practicing with this gun. Again thank you very much for the sound advice that I got from this forum.
BTW, it's hard to see where the pellet hits the target from 10M so I set up an ipad and laptop communicating on skype so I can see the target right in front of me. I think a surveillance camera can accomplish the same thing, but this is what I have available.
Attachments
IMG_20151219_130402606~2.jpg
TenMetrePeter

Post by TenMetrePeter »

zanemoseley wrote:Also one more thing, I can't believe they make a rifle stock from poplar, IMO it isn't nearly hearty enough for a stock with a grip transition like that, which is why it cracked. We use a lot of poplar at my work, it is strong when used properly but its just not hard enough to use for a stock like that which is why I've never seen anyone using poplar for rifle stocks, maple and walnut is about all I recall.
Just picked up this old post. (sorry!). In fairness to AA there is a large steel bolt runs right through the pistol grip. Either the bolt was not tight enough or it suffered a major trauma in transit too big for the bolt to cope with. Not glued!
I have repaired several walnut stocks broken at that place. Poplar is as good imo. Maple and poplar are very similar to work with.
The very early AA MPRs had a breakdown joint at that point and in later ones it was made one-piece possibly for UK legal (pistol/rifle) reasons.