Two questions. Adjustable iris choice and color filters.

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963, David Levene, Spencer

EricP

Two questions. Adjustable iris choice and color filters.

Post by EricP »

I have used a Gehmann iris in the past and was general happy with the quality. I am just wanting to know if the extra cost for the Centra or Anschutz units is warranted. All three seem to offer comparable units. Which would you choose and why?

My next question is about color filters. I wear a pair of Knoblochs and was considering trying the filters that clip onto the lens. For you glass wearers, have you ever tried with the filters on the lens of your glasses? What difference did it make? Did you like it?

Thanks, EricP
mtncwru

Re: Two questions. Adjustable iris choice and color filters.

Post by mtncwru »

I, also, use a Gehmann iris. As far as I can tell they're all pretty much the same in terms of quality. There's a pretty good variety in my club, so I had opportunity to poll people prior to buying mine; the consensus was to buy what you can get the cheapest. One exception to that statement: if you shelled out for a Centra Spy or similar small profile rear sight, it may be worth it to get a smaller profile iris to match the sight.

In terms of color filters, I've never used them on my glasses. I prefer my filters go in my rear iris so I can take them on and off quickly, as lighting conditions warrant. My preferred filters were a reddish-brown and a couple different grays. For my current iris, though, I found that I got the same effect with a polarizer, so I skipped the colors and went straight to that.
Tim S

Post by Tim S »

As above, I don't feel under equipped with a Gehmann iris. I also have a Centra start-line on my spare rearsight. I don't think you can go wrong with either. As far as I'm award the Anschutz branded eyepeices are made by Centra.

Personally I would not use clip-on filters. A club mate has one, and it frequently falls off in use; this may simply be that particular clip, but it has prejudiced me. If you don't routinely use a filter, the integral filter wheel found in many eyepeices is much more convenient. The only downside is that the filters can get dirty, and can be fiddly to clean. Since I always use a yellow filter I had my lens made from yellow-tinted glass.
jowo

Post by jowo »

I am agree.
I use on my rifles a Iris Aperture from Centra and from AHG (Anschütz). Both are made from the same manufacturer, they are only labeled with different vendor signs. The advantage is that you can this disassemble for cleaning.
In my opinion a combined filter ist easier to handle especially in a competition.

Jo
patriot

Post by patriot »

Everyone's eyes are different, but I stopped using color filters. With the front sight glare filter I invented (mentioned in another post) I only need to adjust the Gehmann iris opening as light conditions change. It is one less thing to have to contend with during a match.

Mark